HM to define seat positions better - Page 2

View Poll Results: Do you want seat positions to be defnined in this new way?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 95.83%
  • No

1 4.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by IkeB View Post
    I would really like to see the Hijack position specifically to gain a little more clarity into players stealing tendencies. Cutoff is absolutely necessary, but other than cutoff, you're looking at stats that read 'middle position', but in a 9 or 10 handed game, this can be misleading when you look at stats. Some people like to steal blinds, but some people value stealing position from the cutoff and button with less than stellar hands. I do anyway.

As of now, there isn't really any good way of determining if someone's raising from the hijack more than HJ-1,-2. It seems like HEM's design was specifically geared toward 6-max cash games.

IkeB,

I agree that the HM design is geared more towards 6-max cash games; but that will be corrected by this enhancement.

Even though I did not use the name, the Hijack position is right there in the database. It's just that when I was throwing out names for the positions, I did not write "Hijack," and instead I used MP position for both 6max and full-ring. If we want, we could call it the Hijack... that's fine with me. But I decided to not do that in my posts, because HM is so geared towards 6max that I thought 6max players would object to having to say that the 6max positions are Middle Hijack CO BTN SB BB. But even if they had to call the positions that, all the functionality would still be there for them; and in the same way, even if full-ring players do not get to use the word Hijack, all the functionality is still there for us as well.

I am going to show you that you would in fact have complete functionality even though we do not use the word Hijack. I will also show you that in a 9 or 10 handed game, you would have full ability to separate the first three or four positions and see them in detail. (By the way, I play both full-ring and 6max, so I too want to have the full-ring stuff work well.)

Here are the values in the database, and the names that I gave them:
    -2 BB
    -1 SB
    0 BTN
    1 CO
    2 MP
    3 EP
    4 IP (Initial Position)
    5 IP (Initial Position)
    6 IP (Initial Position)
    7 IP (Initial Position)

Even though I gave the positions those names, really they have more-specific names, and here they are:
    -2 BB
    -1 SB
    0 BTN
    1 CO
    2 MP
    3 EP
    4 IP1 (Initial Position One)
    5 IP2 (Initial Position Two)
    6 IP3 (Initial Position Three)
    7 IP4 (Initial Position Four)

So let's say that you want to have every position defined for the PFR stat. We can do it like this:
    -2 BB_PFR
    -1 SB_PFR
    0 BTN_PFR
    1 CO_PFR
    2 MP_PFR
    3 EP_PFR
    4 IP1_PFR
    5 IP2_PFR
    6 IP3_PFR
    7 IP4_PFR

As you can see, the Hijack position DOES have its own stat defined, and the first four positions DO have their own stats defined as well. The only thing is, we are not calling it "Hijack" because if we try to do that, then all of the 6max players are going to object. And we are also making up the new name, "Initial Position," so that the naming convention is the same with 6max players. And because we have four of those "Initial Positions," we have a different name for every position, so it gives us full functionality for full-ring.

Anyways, if we were to have a Hijack position, then it would look like this:
    -2 BB
    -1 SB
    0 BTN
    1 CO
    2 HJ
    3 MP
    4 EP
    5 IP1
    6 IP2
    7 IP3

If done like that, then we have Hijack, and we get rid of the IP4 position at a 10max table. Personally, if it is done like that, it is fine with me. But I really think that many of the 6max players would be against starting off with Middle Position, and not having an Early Position.

If we call it Hijack, that's fine with me. And if we leave the word Hijack out, that's fine with me too. What I really want is to have full functionality in all positions (including the first ones at a 10max and 9max table), and for the stats to be consistent; and I also really want there to be enough agreement so that we can actually get it done. If you want that too, then this is the enhancement that will make it happen. Also, this is the enhancement that is needed even if we DO end up using the word "Hijack."

In my first post, I wrote this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    ... regardless of what the positions are called, the positions are how far off the button the player is, so that would be 0 1 2 3 at a 6max table, and 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 at a full ring table. And if we call position 3 EP (and I really do not care if we do or do not)...
    I was concerned from the start that the position names might be interpreted by some people as having no Hijack functionality, and no earliest-seat functionality. But this enhancment does give full functionality everywhere.
    Last edited by Ajax; 11-01-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Another important thing is that when one player sits out at a 6max table, then there will be no Early Position player. When two sit out, then there is no Early Position and no Middle Position either. So the whole thing would look like this.

I don't really care if it says Hijack, BTN-2, or UTG+5 or +6, I would really just like for each specific table position to be able to be drilled down separately.

Oh, sorry about that then. I misunderstood you.

I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by IkeB View Post
    I don't really care if it says Hijack, BTN-2, or UTG+5 or +6, I would really just like for each specific table position to be able to be drilled down separately.
    the 6max race first in + open raise in utg is just a mess, its almost double of mp what it makes useless.
    while i play omaha the value is most of he time pritty high.

i dont get why its like that.