install postgres and hm on win7 64bit system

Default install postgres and hm on win7 64bit system

hi,

i have just got a brand new win7 64bit system and need to install hm and postgres as well.

i have tried the standard installer from the website and i find out that postgres 8.4 is not going to work which is the version in that installer.

so that leaves me choice of postgres 8.3 or 9.0.

i had those two versions in my computer and i dont know which one should i use.

any help will appreciated.

thx

-jun

The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

If that's running, SQL 8.4 should install. Did you try the new 8.4.5 installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database ?
    Both 8.3.12 and 9.0.1 are both fine, officially we don't support 9.0.1 yet (although it works just fine) but I'm using 9.0.1 myself now
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Default i will try to install 9.0 and 8.4 on a brand new system

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

If that's running, SQL 8.4 should install. Did you try the new 8.4.5 installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database ?
    Both 8.3.12 and 9.0.1 are both fine, officially we don't support 9.0.1 yet (although it works just fine) but I'm using 9.0.1 myself now
    i don't know what's the problem for my new win7 laptop. the only thing i can think of is that this dell studio 17 inch laptop is sold in china and so it's use the chinese version of win7 instead of english. does it even matter?

i have successfully installed 8.2 on this laptop. i am going to recover the dell image and try 9.0 then 8.4 then 8.3. mostly likely none of them will work. but since hm is so important to my laptop, i will spend one day to try to set it up.

i will be posting my results here and any recommandation is welcomed.

thx

-jun

Just use SQL 8.2....

SQL 8.4/8.3 NOT working is very common (on about 10% of ALL computers)
    And is probably caused by a language issue. I mostly see it on Swedish, German, Turkish, Russian, AND Chinese versions of Windows
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here