#7 on top 10 HEM performance tips question

Default #7 on top 10 HEM performance tips question

-7 Edit your PosgreSQL.conf file in the SQL 8.x/data folder.
    Do not use the Tuning Wizard. On some systems it will make changes to the postgresql.conf it shouldn't, resulting in being unable to connect to the database!
    If you experience this problem--> simply go to the 8.4/data folder, and delete postgresql.conf, and rename the backup postgresql.conf.2009(data xxxxxxxx) back to "postgresql.conf" and reboot.
    Recommended changes:
    shared_buffers = MB (set this to 20% of your system memory, but not more than 1000 MB.... round it off to 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 768 MB)
    effective_cache_size = MB (set this to 2x the size of the shared_buffers)

- what do we edit the posgresql.conf file to??? Im not using the tuning wizard as stated above, but what do we edit the file to? I cant seem to open this file also.

You should be able to open the file with a texteditor and you will see comments in there how to change values.

But i suggest you use our new tools doing this: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Postgres Optimization

Please make sure to use the latest beta http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...nager_Beta.exe

Quote Originally Posted by netsrak View Post
    You should be able to open the file with a texteditor and you will see comments in there how to change values.

But i suggest you use our new tools doing this: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Postgres Optimization

Please make sure to use the latest beta http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...nager_Beta.exe
    downloaded newest beta, then tried to do the "optimize" as stated above after clicking on optimize i got the error saying "attempted to divide by zero"???

[9/30/2010 3:14 AM] Reading databases .done
    [9/30/2010 3:15 AM] Starting optimization
    [9/30/2010 3:15 AM] error: Attempted to divide by zero.[9/30/2010 3:15 AM] error: at HoldemManagerDatabaseMaintenan

Beta 17?

Can you post a screenshot of the error message please?

Quote Originally Posted by netsrak View Post
    Beta 17?

Can you post a screenshot of the error message please?
    yes, beta 17. i just tried to optimize the database again and received a different error out of nowhere... it says due to user request but i didn't click ANYTHING.

Just manually make the changes:
    shared_buffers = MB (set this to 20% of your system memory, but not more than 1000 MB.... round it off to 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 768 MB)

Our HoldemManagerDatabaseMaintenance.exe still has some bugs.
    Which SQL version are you using?
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    Just manually make the changes:

Our HoldemManagerDatabaseMaintenance.exe still has some bugs.
    Which SQL version are you using?
    using 8.3, i have already done those changes.. are they the same as "optimize"?

Yes. they're the same.
    And I think our optimize tool, only works with SQL 8.4 (and not with 8.3.. also not with 9.0)

Edit: making those changes is the same as TUNING
    The optimize is the same as running a vacuum/analyse in pgadminIII, just do that manually read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...lyze+Database+
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here