sync databases

Thread: sync databases

Default sync databases

I would like to use allway sync to sync my database to my laptop.
    Does anyone know the file and path that postgres uses?

Postgresql is not just one file - its a complete folder structure (something like c:\program files(X86)\postgresql\8.x\...

I'm pretty sure a sync of this will not work - you should ask allway if they have experience with syncing databases like postgresql.

Default Believe someone on the staff has done this.

I remember reading in a post a few months ago written by HEM staff that they use
    allwaysync to do this. Allway sync will sync any and all files in a folder that have changed. Could you ask around and see what staff member has done this?

Default Fozzy71

I found the post.
    http://forums.holdemmanager.com/mana...ce-thread.html
    I'm not sure if he is staff or not.
    The answer to my question is in the post.
    I am wondering, Right now I have a different database on each computer.
    If I backup and restore or export hands so that the same database is on both, I think the allway sync will be ok. But in Fozzy71's post he seemed to be doing this as a backup, which is not exactly what I'm doing. Are the files in the data folder
    specific to the version of postgres (which is ok in my case) or are they more specific than that, e.g., do they reference things that are specific to each computer.

Fozzy uses it for backup purposes. Backup of his desktop folders to external harddrive.

I don't think this will work trying to sync your desktop SQL database folder with your laptop.

Why don't you sync your archive folders: C:/HMArchive.
    Desktop HMArchive folder---> Laptop HMArchive2
    Laptop HMArchive folder----> Desktop HMArchive2

Then you add the HMArchive2 folders as auto import folders.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

I'll try that. Thanks.

Patvs,

I was trying something like what you suggest, though I attempted to just sync files from each archive that had not been already synced to the other computer. The issue -- slowdown, to be exact -- I see with your suggestion is that HEM will auto re-import the entire archive each time, throwing out all the old duplicates and only importing unseen hands. It seems to me if the archive is large, that could take a while... ?

What exactly does HEM use the archived files for? Can I play games moving the archived files around in an attempt to create a file structure that is easy to sync, but will prevent the auto import of a huge number of hands which have already been imported in an effort to import a small number of new hands?

-Kevin

With my suggestion the Archive2 folder will be imported each time when you start the auto import which can create slowdown, but all those files are moved to the Archive folder. So in my scenario the Archive2 folder will be empty the next time you start the auto import.

Never add your archive folder as an import folder, since that WILL create slowdown sort of creating an infinite loop.

HM doesn't use the archived files for anything, but you need those files, in case you ever want to reimport the original handhistories.

Sure you can move the content of the archive folder to a different folder/drive (or ZIP its contents) to prevent the auto import of a huge number of hands
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

My issue is not with the right side of the statement:

. Desktop HMArchive folder---> Laptop HMArchive2

because yes, the Archive2 folders are emptied out after each import. My problem is with the left side: I need to determine what files in the Desktop HMArchive folder haven't already been moved to the Laptop HMArchive2 folder -- without having to manually determine what's new in Desktop HMArchive since the last sync. I'm trying to automate this to the degree possible. I guess I could write a Python script or something, but dammit Jim, I'm a poker player, not a programmer.
    Last edited by KSG; 10-14-2010 at 11:12 PM.

I guess other than writing a program you could just take a note of the date of last import and only import hands newer than that date the next time. Or you could also clear out that folder to a 2nd backup file each time you do the import on the other PC and only hands since then will be imported. Not a perfect solution but might do what you want
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.