Addressing Red or Green Notes For Colour Blindness

Default Addressing Red or Green Notes For Colour Blindness

“By default the color of the note is black. If the deviation is greater than +20% it turns the note red, If the deviation less than -20%, it turns the note green.”

I would imagine that you have done this so that the user can quickly ID players with notes that deviate from the norm. Is there a way to change the colour that these red and green notes appear? If so this would conclude any further need to address the remainder of my question. If not, please read on as I would like to make a strong case as to why we should change the colors used for these notes.

As a customer who suffers from color blindness I have a very difficult to near impossible time differentiating between the red and green notes within NC (let alone quickly doing so at a glance).

According to a quick search on Wikipedia.com I am not alone. “In the United States, about 7 percent of the male population – or about 10.5 million men – and 0.4 percent of the female population either cannot distinguish red from green, or see red and green differently from how others do (Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2006). More than 95 percent of all variations in human color vision involve the red and green receptors in male eyes. It is very rare for males or females to be "blind" to the blue end of the spectrum.” – quoted from Color blindness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would make the assumption that the overwhelming majority of your target market is males, and 7% of them suffer from this condition. I would suggest that this could easily be negated as a problem for those 7% without affecting the UI simply by choosing more appropriate colors. Perhaps a very true blue and a red that was lighter in tone would be a good choice since the three forms of color blindness are Red-Green and Blue-Yellow and Monochromacy, also known as "total color blindness." If the red and blue were well selected I would think even those with Monochromacy would possibly be able to distinguish the two different tones. Perhaps making one Italic is an even better idea (I do not know anybody that is "Itialic blind").

I would encourage the great team of developers at Assaultware simply google this or ask around your office (I would be shocked if there is not someone there that suffers from this condition).

I believe that this is something that affects a reasonable amount of your customers and is easily enough to address. I am confident that the team at Assaultware can addressed something of this nature on the next build.

Thank you,
    on behalf of 7% of your customers.
    Last edited by Contradictin; 12-27-2012 at 04:42 AM.

No direction but to trust the final destination

You make a valid point here. Which two opposing colors would work as an alternate scheme? It can be made optional. I know some parts of the world have laws mandating this and I do feel it's reasonable.
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

Thank you, this is greatly appreciated.

I will put some effort into selecting some color choices with consideration for all in the next couple of days using some online tools.
    Last edited by Contradictin; 12-28-2012 at 04:10 PM.