3bet %, by position

Default 3bet %, by position

I've always heard you should 3bet the most from the CO & BN to take advantage of position. But your stats seem to suggest I should be 3betting more from the blinds then anywhere else. Is that right? If so can you explain the reasoning?

Pos. 3bet

UTG 0
    MP 2.3 – 5.3
    CO 2.6 – 6.3
    BN 4.8 – 9.7
    SB 4.9 - 8.8
    BB 5.3 - 9.6

No, it's showing you should be 3-betting the most from the BTN. The second highest place is the BB because of re-steals and squeezes in 6-max, and somewhat similar with SB. That's just how the numbers fall. CO is still high, but in 6-max you can only 3-bet the UTG or MP player.

Quote Originally Posted by Leak Buster Support View Post
    No, it's showing you should be 3-betting the most from the BTN. The second highest place is the BB because of re-steals and squeezes in 6-max, and somewhat similar with SB. That's just how the numbers fall. CO is still high, but in 6-max you can only 3-bet the UTG or MP player.
    OK so lets say I'm value 3betting TT+, AQ+ (4.7%) on the button and QQ+, AK (2.5%) in the blinds. You're saying I need to:
    • add 0.1% - 5% bluff 3bets from the BN (4.7% value + 5% bluff = 9.7% = top of suggested BN 3bet range)
    • add 2.5% - 6.5% bluffs, resteals and squeezes in the blinds (2.5% value + 6.5% bluffs etc = 9% = close to top of BB 3betting range)

Thats so much more than I 3bet now; is that really right? Or is this just stats, and I shouldn't attempt to hit these numbers? (I'm playing $50 & $100 NL if that matters)...

Quote Originally Posted by St3v3k4hn View Post
    OK so lets say I'm value 3betting TT+, AQ+ (4.7%) on the button and QQ+, AK (2.5%) in the blinds. You're saying I need to:
    • add 0.1% - 5% bluff 3bets from the BN (4.7% value + 5% bluff = 9.7% = top of suggested BN 3bet range)
    • add 2.5% - 6.5% bluffs, resteals and squeezes in the blinds (2.5% value + 6.5% bluffs etc = 9% = close to top of BB 3betting range)

Thats so much more than I 3bet now; is that really right? Or is this just stats, and I shouldn't attempt to hit these numbers? (I'm playing $50 & $100 NL if that matters)...

Well, profitable poker in a nutshell is recognizing positive EV situations, and capitalizing on them as consistently as possible. So if those are your numbers right now (4.7 and 2.5), then yes, you're missing a lot of value by not adding some bluffing ranges, and/or polarizing your 3-bet range more. If you're just doing it for value in those ranges, and reasonable regular is going to know exactly where they stand when you 3-bet, and that's exactly what you don't want.

The key in making changes to your game though is to DO IT SLOWLY. You don't want to over compensate and then get yourself in all sorts of uncomfortable situations for yourself. The new 3.0 will let you know if you are over compensating. Watch the video on 3-betting, and look for a few spots based on the information presented to add a couple of 3-bet bluffs per session. Even 1 more per session is a good place to start.

Start with the ideal situation, because it will be the easiest and most profitable to execute. It's highlighted and explained in LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Leak Buster Support View Post
    ... then yes, you're missing a lot of value by not adding some bluffing ranges, and/or polarizing your 3-bet range more.
    Is there a difference? (between bluff range and polarized range)? I thought polarized was value+bluff?

If you're just doing it for value in those ranges, and reasonable regular is going to know exactly where they stand when you 3-bet, and that's exactly what you don't want.
    You don't have a chart for cold calling or 3betting do you (similar to opening chart)? Hard to know what hands to 3bet for value let alone which bluffs to include...

Start with the ideal situation, because it will be the easiest and most profitable to execute. It's highlighted and explained in LB.
    What are you refering to here?
    Thanks!

Is there a difference? (between bluff range and polarized range)? I thought polarized was value+bluff?
    No, a bluff is any holding that likely isn't the best hand at the moment. Polarized is what it sounds like. You're taking the very best of your range, and some of the worst of your range. The in between ranges you're calling or folding.

You don't have a chart for cold calling or 3betting do you (similar to opening chart)? Hard to know what hands to 3bet for value let alone which bluffs to include...
    No, not officially. There's obviously a lot of things to consider when you're cold calling or 3-betting. It's a much more difficult chart to create, and we felt would create more confusion that good in the end. It's better to focus on how you should be making these decisions, and what information you need to be considering.

What are you refering to here?
    Thanks!
    Information that's in the 3-bet video, and also in the HUD and other modules in Leak Buster.

So is the idea to evenly balance your value 3bet range with your polarized range? ie if I am 3betting 3% of hands for value do I add 3% of polarized hands to my 3bet range?

So is the idea to evenly balance your value 3bet range with your polarized range? ie if I am 3betting 3% of hands for value do I add 3% of polarized hands to my 3bet range?
    Essentially yes. It doesn't have the be exactly balanced, especially at small and micro stakes, but some reasonable ratio is good. The main point it that you aren't 3-betting decent hands a lot like ATs,AJo,KQs (not that you never will) etc... You're 3-betting hands like K6s, Q9o, and AA,AK,QQ, etc.... watch the 3-bet video again.