Best SSD config using HEM2+NC - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Hi there,

great info on this thread.

I've bought a 250gb Crucial SSD to upgrade from my 120gb SSD. Am I better just keeping everything on the bigger, faster drive and just using the old SSD for docs or splitting off the database to my old drive?

Many thanks,

J

Yes, put everything on the fastest drive.

There is no advantage in splitting the database. Splitting was recommended with old regular drives, because of the 0.5 MB/s 4K read speeds of regular drives quickly becoming a speed bottle neck in performance. (it was then advantageous to have Windows on one drive and the PostgreSQL database on another)

But as soon as the 4K read speeds are higher than 5 MB/s, it's best to just put everything on the fastest drive.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    Yes, put everything on the fastest drive.

There is no advantage in splitting the database. Splitting was recommended with old regular drives, because of the 0.5 MB/s 4K read speeds of regular drives quickly becoming a speed bottle neck in performance. (it was then advantageous to have Windows on one drive and the PostgreSQL database on another)

But as soon as the 4K read speeds are higher than 5 MB/s, it's best to just put everything on the fastest drive.
    Could you confirm what the best build is for HEM2 + NC speed please? I got very confused reading this thread as to what is actually best for a new build...

1 x 500gb SSD with windows + hem2/nc on
    2 x 250gb SSD in RAID 0 with windows + hem2/nc on
    1 x 128gb SSD with windows + 1 x 500gb SSD with hem2/nc
    1 x 128gb SSD with windows + 2 x 250gb in RAID 0 SSD with hem2/nc

-1 Put everything on the fastest drive.

-2 If the "fastest" is a RAID0 setup, also take into consideration the risks of a RAID0 setup.
    (broken RAID array--> you lose everything. Only use RAID0 if you're planning to make backups regularly)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here