Tournament HUD Config for Consideration and Feedback
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Tournament HUD Config for Consideration and Feedback

Having little success in finding a good tournament HUD config pre-made, I made this one. Take a look, read my thoughts on the design, and tell me if I'm all effed up or not. Feedback and criticism will be appreciated. Thanks.

This is the main stat box; large and actual size. The BB and M are visible only on my stat box. I was thinking about only having BB and M visible on my box instead of all the other stats, but I've learned so much about my play by looking at the popups, I decided to leave them.

I'm using Tahoma 7 point font. It's not really what I wanted. I was looking for a font that was more wide than high, like a block bitmap font. I found and downloaded some that I liked, but when I put them in my fonts folder and tried to apply them to the stat box, it crashed HEM. Super.

14K is the hand sample with no abbreviation. Using grey for <20, red for <50, yellow for <200, and green for <inf. Experienced users let me know if this coding is representative of the reliability of sample size. Thanks.

VP is likewise attached to VP$iP stat. Using red for <15%, yellow for <26%, and green for <inf, with min sample adjustment of 20. Again, let me know if you think these values are good or bad for tournament play. I think they're representative of good tournament VP ranges.

My aim was not so much to rely on the stat box info, but rather try to use the detail data popups for pre-hand planning based on opponents tendencies. I tried to make the popups data relevent to situations and opponents' actions before and during the play of the hand, and I also tried to incorporate data points from which I could draw comparisons and better judge whether an opponent's action was typical or atypical based on their history. Unfortunately, at such small stakes, gathering sample sizes that make any of this data reliable is tough. I play a lot, and I pretty much stick to a particular type of game for a long time, so I'm hoping to get some good samples on regs. The fish just outplay themselves anyway.

Here is the popup associated with VP:

Hand sample size in the top left, same for all popups. Have no use for a name in the popup. VPiP and Agg Factor for assumption baseline at the top. Open Raise (linked to 1st Raise stat) by total and position (except blinds - blind info found elsewhere) with comparative Limp stats to judge whether an opponent has strong or weak preflop play. Limp actions in the middle, to know if someone tends to limp and call, limp and fold, or if they use the limp early/3Bet technique I so loathe. Button play on the right, as well as how often someone elects to play any two cards in worst position post flop. On the left, as I look at it, I'm not liking those stats there. More relevant would be Limp Fold rather than Fold to 3Bet, which is already in the middle column. BB raise - probably doesn't accurately represent what I'd like it to, which would be how often BB attempts to pick up limped pots preflop. And flop CBet doesn't really make sense here since villain limped. Cool. Thanks for your help.

PFR Stat is likewise attached to PFR, though I thought it might be better to be attached to 1st Raise stat. The description seems like it might be a little more accurate. Let me know. I'm using red for <10%, yellow for <25%, and green for <inf, with min sample set at 20.

PFR Stat popup:

Again, hand sample top left, PFR and AggF for baseline. PFr% by position compared side by side with Fold 2 3Bet to sniff out weakness. C-Bet tendencies column 1, with turn and river Agg to compare to see when and if they give up on an aggressive line, or, whether floating is prudent. In the event that they do seem to give up on aggressive lines, frequency of fold to turn and river bets. And finally, I added a slight hedge against trickiness with the final column, frequency of turn and river checkraises. Sucks that you need a HUGE sample for checkraise stats to be useful.

L stat is attached to Limp% stat. Using red for <10%, yellow for <20%, and green for <inf, with a 20 hand min sample, though I don't believe that this color code is particularly useful for this stat - I just didn't want any numbers to be the same color as the text (for clarity).

L Stat popup:

Sample and baseline top line. Opposite of PFR popup, limp by position compared to PFR, transposed. Again, SB calling tendencies, mine obviously suck. Gotta work on that. I'm not sure what I was thinking the relevance of SB limp vs SB VPiP was... Limp call, limp fold, limp 3bet in a row, weak/strong tendencies. Call 3Bet Cold, weak play. I added the steal limped pot stat after I read that it refers to stealing post flop. I don't know how that stat is determined, but for some reason, people are still using the limp early/wait for someone to raise/3bet shove technique, which is pretty lame IMO. Limping usually begets limping, so if they have AA or KK, they might be shoving on the flop. I hope this stat actually reflects that thought process and/or betting line. If someone knows better, let me know. I added squeeze due to people tending to like raising in the SB to a LP raise in an otherwise limped pot.
    Last edited by IkeB; 09-03-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Default ...continued

Ag, necessary HUD stat, attached to factor, not %. Using green for <0.75, yellow for <1.75, orange for <2.20, and red for <inf. The colors are arbitrary, as they could be inverted and mean the same thing to another person. I know what they mean. I'm really not sure if they're representative of good information, as I'm not sure yet how AggFactor works. All I know is that I'm around 2.2, and I'm aggressive enough, and not to spewy. Input welcomed on this one.

Ag Stat popup:

Sample and baseline stats in top row. Aggressive stats and actions by street. Float numbers and raise c-bet numbers to sniff out runner runner draws coming in, and made hands on the flop. I'm happy about the IP/OOP stat differentiation because it makes a big difference. Donk bet frequencies by street. Showdown, and win at showdown, hopefully to be able to tell the difference between betting into a calling station and betting into a trap. Probably not even useful. Steal stats. Too high and I raise you, fool! And finally, in the event that I do raise you, hopefully your fold vs resteal will guide me true. 4bet frequency and range just in case. Probably need 20000 hands on a player for that to even be useful, but it looks cool. Probably help more in a cash game.

CBET is attached to Flop CB%, since it makes sense. Using red for <15%, yellow for <30% and green for <inf, with a 50 hand min sample. I felt I had to up the sample size at least some. I think that's about typical.

CBET Stat popup:

Usual PFR% for baseline, but switched FlopAggFactor for AggFactor for baseline for obvious reasons. All C-bet actions possible, by street. All the information is useful situationally, whether you're doing the C-betting, or if you're dealing with opponent's C-bet. Again, the IP/OOP differentiation is cool. Bets if no C-bet from OOP stats are attached to Bet vs. missed C-Bet IP/OOP stats by street. That wording just makes more sense to me. I'm pretty sure I didn't eff that up. Super useful information for determining if opponent likes to float and steal, allowing for premium trap setting. I'm looking for a combination of stats that will accurately represent the situation where an opponent takes a strong line with C-Bet, but gives up on a later street frequently. So far I have not found this, other than comparing multiple stats. There doesn't seem to be a PFR/CbetFlop/CheckTurn stat. If anyone knows SQL and knows if it is possible to string queries in the popups, that would be sweet.

WEAK stat is actually attached to the CallOpen stat, because I think that's generally a weak play. The stat number is mostly arbitrary as the WEAK popup (it's not really a weak popup, I don't think) is meant to be a tool for generally finding out if a player is weak or strong, based on weak play stats. For CallOpen, I'm using red for <7%, orange for <15%, yellow for 22%, and green for <inf. Just guessing, but again, I think the number and the color coding are arbitrary.

The point is the WEAK popup:

I used BB and M for baseline for this one because I think I'll use this a lot around the bubble, and stack size considerations will weigh heavily on decision making. Tried to make kind of a box in the top left corner with comparative stats. FlatPFR% is actually CallOpenTotal%, which is the same thing, I'm sure, compared with 3Bet%. Limp stat is LimpTotal%, which isn't really what I want, but there's no 1stOpenLimp% that I can find, compared with OpenRaise%. The right top box is just some generally common weak action stats, but LimpCall vs LimpFold by comparison could generally describe a Laggy player, which I'm not, but I'm looking pretty weak there, I think. In the middle some weak/strong stats to judge by, and below that some stats on one's blind play. I included the fold to resteal% for some added clarity. The donk bet is like 80% a really weak play, and the other 20% really strong, I think, especially when shorthanded and heads up, so I just put the totals by street on the left, and then some indicators of strength related to donkbetting on the right, in an attempt to have some insight into whether my opponent's donk betting is weak or strong. I like the Fold to Donk bet for weak tight players who think that raising early with unsuited broadway cards is a good play. 2BDonk (raise donk bet, not enough room) hopefully can keep me out of trouble when out of position. And Fold Donk to Raise is good for people like me who have an 80% C-bet%, and will pretty much lead any flop after raising pre. I like this popup.

STEAL is really just another popup link for more detailed information, but at least the value in the stat box is useful at a glance, even with small sample size. In fact, I'm inclined to use this box in session mode to have a better idea of what's going on in the now. Using red for <10%, yellow for <25%, and green for <inf, with a min sample size of 100 (you only end up in the positions to which the stat refers 1/3 of the time).

STEAL Stat popup:

This is a tool that I hope will be good to use on the fly. It's not too big, it's clear, and I'm liking the organization. Notice it's broken up into stealing and defending, so you can open it up and quickly determine if you should be defending your blind light, or if you should be restealing on the poor sucker who thinks he can get over. Used BB and AggFactor as baselines, as stack size determines whether to threebet shove, or threebet 2.74x.

Under stealing column, opponents tendencies per action by position (SB/BB) The defending columns describe how light opponent is stealing. I'd like to switch my stealSB stat for stealCO. That would be good. And open raise % by position. I just used the Raise 1st stat, and I used Raise1stCO for LP, since there is no LP, and this program was designed for 6Max, obviously. My idea of adding Raise1st stat here is for if someone seems to be opening on my blind every orbit. If I can switch to session stats and notice a difference, I have to shove on him one time and hope he's reasonable. I would really like to see a DefendButton vs Steal stat, steal positions being CO, HJ, and BTN -3. That would be useful when attempting to blow through the CO and button to take down the blinds. I put the squeeze stat in there since I see a lot of 3bets from the SB, though I don't know if that stat describes that situation. I hope at some point HEM incorporates bet-size relevant stats, so there can be stats for stop-and-go, go-and-go, and 3bet shove as compared to 3bet min or 3 bet 5x, etc... And of course, the Fold to resteal stat.

For the WIN stat, I used Win20Min stat with green for <20, yellow for <60, and red for <inf. This is just another indicator popup with useful showdown stats, and otherwise stats general to determining the quality of play of the opponent.

WIN Stat popup:

Used WinTotal and BB/100 for baseline, both of which are pretty useless in a tournament. Good times. Win rates by time - filler basically - I don't know what anyone would do with this information. Showdown stats which are good in determining weak calling stations or effective value-betters. Still trying to figure out how my Win$SD(no small pots) could be bigger than my Win$SDTotal.... That's just weird. Win traits column I think generally indicates those actions that are fundamental to tournament success. Interpreting the information and actually having useful sample sizes is another matter. Again, good times.

So that's my tournament HUD, and it's the best one I've seen, but I'm going to continue to tweek it, look for useful scripts, and learn a little more about the back end of the program, and hopefully increase the reliability of the biznatch.

All non-noobs let me know what you think, and especially what I've gotten totally wrong, and any other suggestions. Other fellow noobs, disparage me at will.

Thanks,
    Ike
    Last edited by IkeB; 09-03-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Awesome hud, dude. I prefer transparent huds, but this one looks like prty good!

Awsome hud man - this is exactly what I have been trying to make fro myself.. any chance I can get you to share?

I'll export this later and put it up here.

Ok, I've tweaked this a little. I'm going to play a long session today and probably make some more adjustments. I'll export and post the file later tonight.

Default Tweaks

Ok, I've kind of figured out what's working and what's not with this HUD so far, and made a few changes.

I've made the stat box a little sleeker and more manageable, and figured out some more pertinent stats to have at a glance.

Here's the new visual:

You will notice that the first four stats have no abbreviations, and usually that's well and good if you've made your own HUD, and you just know in what order you've placed them, and what they are.

This is actually very usable, still, for anyone else, so long as they understand why I did it that way. All those stats are relative to preflop action, and I call it the "PreFlop Corrolary". I named it that because I'm a geek.

These four stats, so long as sample size is sufficient, can give one a glimpse into their opponents preflop tendencies in general.

It goes LIMP%, PFR%, VP$iP, HAND TOTAL.

So basically you have the percentage of times opponent limped in versus the percentage of times they raised, divided by the total percentage of hands they voluntarily put money in preflop, divided by total number of hands seen. Which I think draws a pretty nice picture of what someone's doing preflop. Also, it keeps the HUD nice and neat while delivering as much information as possible.

I added BB and M to the right edge of the stat box, rather than on their own line, just to reduce the profile.

I closed up the abbreviations on the second line to conserve space, and I also added an extra stat to the STL stat. The first number is %FoldtoSteal, and the second number is %Steal, so you can look and see quickly if your opponent is a blind thief or a nit to take advantage of.

I'm thinking of adding some more compound stats to the PF corrolary as well.

If you liked the old one, and wanted to get an import, too bad. I didn't export before I made the changes, but I think this one's better anyway.

[EDIT] I also changed the stat that was attached to the WIN abb. Instead of Win 20 min, I'm now using WinRate, which is expressed as BB/100, and I thought that was more useful in the span of a tournament. It's really not very useful, but that's more just a link to the popup, which is useful.
    Last edited by IkeB; 09-04-2010 at 06:51 PM.

I'm thinking this is pretty much the finished product now. Tweaked a lot, didn't export before I made any changes, so this is what it is, better or worse.

How did u get it to surround the players icons (boxes) like that?

HUD Options -> Player Preferences -> Appearance Tab... use multiple panels.

You have to create your own HUD by cloning an existing preset and making changes. You can't modify the presets. By choosing use multiple panels, each 'new line' break becomes a 'new panel' instead. Then you can move the stats on each panel independently of the others by using CTRL-RMouse.

Pretty good stuff.