best specs buying new PC to run NC - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a pretty old thread but I tought I would reply to try to get some feedback on a PC purchase I am considering.

I want to run notecaddy on as many as 6 tables as well as camtasia from time to time without any problems. I also want to run as many as 3 different poker sites at the same time.

Here are three options I am considering:

Dell Precision T5400 Workstation Desktop Computer Off Lease Refurbished DELWSQC28R7P64 - Micro Center

HP Z600 Workstation Desktop Computer Off Lease Refurbished Z600 WORKSTATIO - Micro Center

HP ENVY 700-414 Desktop Computer Refurbished J4V91AAR#ABA - Micro Center

Thanks

The first 2 listed computers are not suitable for your purposes. The HP ENVY is ok, but you'll need a fast SSD on top. Note that none of the above is a perfect choice in terms of NC performance. Depending on your financial limit you should consider going for an Intel I7 with a fast SSD. Depending on what you currently have you might also consider to upgrade your current system (this would probably give the biggest bang for the buck).

Quote Originally Posted by NoteCaddy Predator View Post
    The first 2 listed computers are not suitable for your purposes. The HP ENVY is ok, but you'll need a fast SSD on top. Note that none of the above is a perfect choice in terms of NC performance. Depending on your financial limit you should consider going for an Intel I7 with a fast SSD. Depending on what you currently have you might also consider to upgrade your current system (this would probably give the biggest bang for the buck).
    Thanks for the reply. I am planning on purchasing a new PC because the one I have right now really sucks. I can barely run HEM2 with it and I think my iphone has more computing power. So I think you are saying the most important things are the processor and the SSD harddrive right? I forgot to add that on each of the above I was planning on adding this harddrive to it:
    Samsung 850 EVO Series 120GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD Single Unit Version MZ-75E120B/AM MZ-75E120B/AM - Micro Center

I was looking further and found this machine:
    Dell XPS 8700 Desktop Computer X8700-1751BLK - Micro Center

I think it has all the specs I need. I am planning on adding the SSD drive to it with windows 7 on the SSD then using the other harddive in it for storage. Do you think that would work ok?

-Thanks

Good choice In case you plan to use a lot of programs (which you all want to have on the fast SSD), you should probably go for the 250GB version of the SSD. Be aware that f.e. Postgresql requires some free space on your SSD for maintainance.

agreed with 250gb or larger. Not only is free space important for maintenance, export, purge, backup/restore tasks but the larger SSDs perform better in terms of read/write speeds than the smaller ones.

my first intel 160gb SSD cost me $475 in summer of 2010, my 250gb samsung last summer cost me $175....

Bigger = faster is actually at the latest SSDs not really true anymore. When you look for example at the Samsung 850 Pro, you'll see that the 128GB version is marginally faster in 4k random read/write than it's 256GB sibling. So (depending on which SSD you buy) you can nowadays really choose the size fitting your needs.

So I did some research on building a PC and I think I am going to buy all the parts and do it next week. Here is the setup I am currently planning on putting together:

CPU: Intel i5 4690k $199.99
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 Pro $74.99
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB $56.99 (amazon)
    PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX500 500 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply $59.99 (newegg)
    Storage: Crucial 256GB MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 $109.99
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 Special Edition Mid Tower $39.99
    Windows: Windows7 $99.99

Total: $641.93

To recap here are the things I need the new PC to do:
    Run HM2+NC with reasonable speed
    Run up to 3 poker sites at the same time
    6 tables at the same time
    Camtasia recording 6 tables on occasion

My goal is to get a good/fast PC without over killing it and without breaking the bank.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I can't speak to the hardware/brands so hopefully someone else can but I would recommend 16GB of RAM for multi-siting and video recording. I assume you also have some sort of larger HDD for backups/archives and personal non-poker data?

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    I can't speak to the hardware/brands so hopefully someone else can but I would recommend 16GB of RAM for multi-siting and video recording. I assume you also have some sort of larger HDD for backups/archives and personal non-poker data?
    Thanks for the response on both threads in both forums haha. 16gb is what others have recommended as well and I think I'm going to do that.

I forgot to add that I'm going to get a 1tb drive for storage.

Do you think the i7 is worth the extra $80?

image.jpg

Here is a screenshot of my current Task manager running all the programs lol