Postgre conects ok after first Hm Install and nevermore
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Postgre conects ok after first Hm Install and nevermore

Hello guys !

I need a help...I bought a new computer with Windows 7 Ultimate x86 (64 bits).

I installed HM, it automatically installed PostgreSQL, executes everything ok, I can restore my database, also ok.

However, when I restart the computer, postgre doesn't connect ! Trying to connect by PgAdminIII, I put the default password postgrepass and I got the famous error message:

Server doesn't listen - The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports could not connect to server: Conecction refused. Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432 ?

Well, I found a lot of thing about it and one of that says to verify if the TCP port 5432 is open...postgre is on Firewall as exception with TCP port 5432, but executing the command NETSTAT -A on DOS prompt, the port 5432 is not listed !!!

It seems this is the problem...how can at installing it opens the port and woks fine and, restarting the computer, the port not open and stop to work ???

By the way, I put the User Acceptance Control level in Low because I thought it could be some privilege access, I don't know...I try to turn off the firewall but it didn't work too. I also checked the hosts file and it's ok with the 127.0.0.1 locahost.

Anybody has an idea about what I can do ?

Thanks !!! And sorry for any English mistakes

Which firewall software are you using?
    Are you running another database software like Microsoft SQL server too?

You can try to start the postgresql windows service as local system account instead of the postgres user.

Hello netsrak !

No, it's a new computer...I don't have this software. The Firewall is the default in the Windows 7.

Could you help me explaining how execute Postgres windows service as local system account?

Thanks !

i have the same issue i get the famous connection issue same as you on windows 7 pro 64 bit...my antivirus/firewall is avast internet security 5....just wanted to add that it works then i go to start it one day and bam i get op's error
    Last edited by PokerNemo; 08-07-2010 at 08:07 PM.

read FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    read FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely
    reinstalling works..it is very weird y does this keep happening randomly ? i know updates/defender can cause issues but why does it just do it randomly ?

Smile

Well, as I said before, I was sure that my problem was related to the port 5432, that was opening after the HM install and, after restart the PC, the port would not open more.

I tried to change the port but it didn't work...

In the Windows 7, differently from Windows XP, the ports can be released to two types of Network Places, Domestic and Public.

HM install Postgres and the port 5432 is released just to Domestic Network.

I tried to check the option Public to Postgres exception in Firewall and it worked !

I don't know why the port is being open just with Public Network checked if my network is classified as Domestic, but it doesn't matter...

Thanks to all !

just tried this on my laptop we will see if that solves the issue firo

same issue back to the drawing board ...can we do a team viewer session ? this is annoying

Please schedule a remote support session with our support. Email support@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so we can setup a Teamviewer session.