Windows 8 Upgrade Guide

Default Windows 8 Upgrade Guide

There are reports of issues with Windows 8. Here are some precautionary advices:

1) Backup data - always backup data regularly - this includes c:\hm(2)archive, your HUD, all of your documents. Ideally, having a safe with a copy and your passwords would be great.

2) You should do a clean install when changing operating systems. An upgrade code will work, you might need to put in a prior Windows Disk, but you can do a clean install with an upgrade disk.

3) Postgres seems to be having issues when you do an update. This has been reported several times, and I'm not even seeing it in my services.

4) Control Panel is hard to get to. Hopefully there's a shortcut on your desktop. If not, Open My Computer, go to the Desktop and it should list Control Panel in the shortcuts there. Create a shortcut, move to your desktop.

See this:

How to access the Windows 8 control panel.

Or, you can create a Control Panel "god mode" shortcut on your desktop. This is merely a folder with every Control Panel link in it.

Windows Master Control Panel shortcut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5) It's a good idea to use Win 8 at this early stage as a secondary operating system currently. This is best done on a computer that you are not using to play poker or for work. Or, set up a dual boot.

A dual boot is when you are running 2 different operating systems on one computer. It utilizes either a second hard drive, or a partitioned drive. You will have your main windows on C: and then windows 8 will be on the other partition.

The partition can be created in windows' disk management. You can access the files from either Windows version and can use the data/parent folders for the prior windows. This way, you can access your database, and if anything goes wrong, you can go back to the prior windows.

6) There's no Start Menu. Your best bet is to familiarize yourself with Win-R and using the Run window, or creating shortcuts to things like Control Panel.

7) I have UAC turned off, but I feel like there's some security features still lingering somewhere that haven't been discovered. For example, it still says I need permission to delete folders. This requires me to click ok. This is why I don't like UAC - it really doesn't do much, but add an extra step.

Also, every time I go into Windows Firewall to add a program to the exclusions list, I have to click "Change Settings" to do so. In Win7, this maybe has to be done once.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

After about 5 hours of fighting with postgres, I have started HM2 on an update from win 7. Here are the final steps:

1) Updated network card software. If you have a name-brand computer, google your company and model - there should be some download links. Win 7/8 are essentially the same and it should run fine, but you most likely will need to reinstall. Otherwise, google for the network card you have.

2) In Windows Firewall - Advanced Settings - Inbound Connections, allow port 5432.

3) I ended up reinstalling postgres 8.4 - I couldn't get it to run otherwise. 9.2 would run (ironically I had both installed on port 5432, which I've never seen allowed before). After the reinstallation using the same directory, 8.4 started. Then, I had to go through the first two steps and the next step to run HM2.

4) Reset the password for postgres in the HM2 setup wizard. I had previously reset the password via dos at least twice in this entire process.

I now have started Hm2 without reformatting, or doing a clean install of postgres/hm2 and an access my previous databases.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

The Definitive Windows 8 Review And User Guide : Meet Microsoft Windows 8

Tomshardware is an excellent resource for hardware and software information and issues.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Sometimes, Windows isn't giving the correct permissions to the postgresql folder.

Open your c:\programfiles\postgresql (or wherever the installation location is)

Right click, properties - go to security - permissions - and give full control to everyone.
    Then go to properties - at the bottom where it says read only, uncheck that and click ok, apply to subfolders.

You might need to do these steps as well:

1) Please make sure you are installing on an administrator account and running as an administrator.

2) Please turn off UAC.

3) You'll need to add:
    - holdemmanager.exe
    - hudfuncapps.exe
    - postgres and pg_ctl, your poker client .exe
    - table ninja.exe
    - notecaddy.business.dll and notecaddy.contents.dll from the modules folder in holdemmanager's program files folder (you might have to type in the names in some firewalls, they do not show)

to the exceptions list in your firewall and antivirus.

4) Make sure that windows is fully updated. Keep checking for updates until it says twice five minutes apart that there are no more updates available.

5) You need to make sure that this folder*, as well as c:\hm2archive, c:\hmarchive and your site's hand history folder are each not read only** and that all permissions are set to full for your user name. ***

8/7/Vista: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\HoldemManager

* You will need to show hidden files. See this tutorial for showing system and hidden files:

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...in+Windows%3F+

See the location here for win 7:

http://www.udbrky.com/hmsupport/configfile.PNG

See the location here for win xp:

http://www.udbrky.com/hmsupport/configfile.PNG

** You will need to right click the folder, open properties. At the bottom in Attributes, uncheck the Read-Only. The folder will continue showing read only after that, this is an issue in Windows

*** This is in Properties as well, in Security.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Another word of caution.

I purchased upgrade versions of windows 8, since they'd always worked doing a clean install. Pre-7, you always had to put in your older version's disk so it would read that you were upgrade-eligible, but in 7, it didn't ask for it. In win 8, there was no warning. However, today, it wouldn't activate, saying I had the upgrade version.

I've run into several issues on the install. When I first formatted my drive and tried to install, it told me that it couldn't read the disk. I then deleted the partition and used just the unallocated disk. Then, it said that it couldn't read or create a partition. After a couple threads on windows7forums said I would need to unplug my secondary disk, I decided to restart and check my bios settings. They read fine, and when I went into setup again, it worked.

Updating Windows is a bit awkward. After each update installation, it tells me that it failed and it was backing out the updates, but they seem to update fine. There also are some instances where the screen will just be black for a while during the post-update reboots, and/or it will have the rotating dots circle showing it is working for a long period of time, and it seems like my computer hung, but then it finally rebooted. It would be nice of windows to have some messages so that you realize that your computer is working, so that you don't spazz-restart it.

And finally, thanks to Hilips for teaching me how to restart/power down without going back to the startup screen and logging out, and doing it from there.

Click on the taskbar, then click alt-F4 and this brings up the shutdown menu.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

There is a quick way to get to control panel and the command prompt (regular and as administrator).

Hover over the left corner until the start screen link pops up. Now right-click that and a menu comes up with these and other options.

I've had several people tell me that they did not know how to find all programs in the start screen. Right click anywhere, and an All Apps button appears in the bottom right corner.

You can also right click a program link to run it as administrator.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

Windows Update no longer gives you the opportunity to keep delaying the restart process. You can do it once, then when it starts telling you it will restart in x minutes, it will restart in x minutes. Make sure you are prepared for that and save all changes.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

If you are having registration issues, Please update to this version

http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloa...AutoUpdate.exe

After downloading, you should right-click the file, go to properties and click unblock. Then, right click the file and run as administrator.

Please try all the steps on this FAQ and send us a new reg.log file as described at the end if you still have problems -

http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...Holdem+Manager
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...l#xtor=RSS-998

If you are having connection issues, see this article.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)

One of the biggest changes in Windows 10 is the DPI Settings - they are set in 3 different places:

If you notice that the text seems large and is overlapping buttons and the UI in places, or the HUD is shifted to the left and above the table slightly, it is probably your DPI settings

Just change your DPI Scaling to 125 or 96/Normal - Please see this FAQ - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Adjusting DPI settings

You will need to reset your license.

Your HM2 license is valid on two computers that you own. If you receive the message "there are no more activations available", you can reset your code.
    For the steps to reset your Holdem Manager code please see this FAQ: Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: I Can Not Activate or Register Holdem Manager

If you continue to have problems we need you to send us the \HM2Logs folder as explained in the last steps under 'Contact Support'.
    Regards udbrky (Chris)