Notes-only importing/exporting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Notes-only importing/exporting

I play on two PCs and the way I move my notes from one computer to another is backuping the database notes only (with the "skip database" option checked, so that it's quicker). The last time I've done it was about two months ago. Now I'm back to standard tables (I was playing FastForward earlier, that's why I didn't use the HM notes) and I cannot import the notes to my 2nd PC. When I go to Database > Restore > I choose my database backup file > I check the "Skip database" option and then the "Start Restore" button goes blank, thus I cannot click it.

I use HM 7318, both PCs with Win XP on them.

Maybe there's another new quick way to move your notes around from one working station to another?

When creating a backup of notes only you need to choose the [x] Skip Database option but when restoring it to an existing database to add the new notes you need to choose the [x] Overwrite Database option. As long as the backup file you are restoring only contains notes that is all that will be updated in the existing database.

Hi,
    The recent big database update managed to corrupt my database, which got my hud messed up. I`ve reimported all the HH files, but never did my notes. Before the update was done a backup was created. Since I didn`t have those issues before the update I assume that database is fine. Is it safe to import those notes to my new updated database? If yes, could you provide step by step instructions please!
    Thank you!

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

You can Restore the Backed-up notes into the new database up via the Database Manager > Restore function.

1) Open Database Manager > Restore
    3) Tick only Notes
    4) Set to Overwrite DB
    3) Start Restore
    4) This will restore the notes for the players in your new database.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    When creating a backup of notes only you need to choose the [x] Skip Database option but when restoring it to an existing database to add the new notes you need to choose the [x] Overwrite Database option. As long as the backup file you are restoring only contains notes that is all that will be updated in the existing database.
    Thank you, was trying to figure out how to get the notes from my old DB as I had trouble updating my old DB and hence created a new one by importing all the hands.. Followed your instructions and got my player notes back

Have you considered that the wording in the back-up screen is really confusing?
    2012-10-16_1119.png

I mean for the option to skip-database and only restore configs the button goes blank. And somehow the user should now that using the overwrite option will not destroy all the existing hands and make me a blank database with only player notes? Why is there even a skip-database option in case its impossible to use it? I was hoping that the hands I marked in the previous DB would be saved, but it seems I lost the markings.

As a small nag, its also a bit annoying if you have made a backup of your database, and would only like to import the notes from it as I guess its not possible unless you restore the DB and export the notes and then import them which seems like a few extra steps. Although I haven't had to import my notes too often, so not that big of a deal for me.

Yes, I agree it can be a bit confusing now that we have changed the functionality somewhat. I will forward this to our testers and bugs managers to see if/how we should address these issues in the future to make this tab easier to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by DogNamedBluff View Post
    You can Restore the Backed-up notes into the new database up via the Database Manager > Restore function.

3) Tick only Notes
    4) Set to Overwrite DB
    3) Start Restore
    I`ve done exacly as instructed....and the result....I had my notes and my hud...for about 5 minutes....then HUD gone...properly...Of course I`ve made a backup just in case...So I`ve restored that....and everything became fine again...
    I used one of my older backups...one before the update...So the questions are:
    Is there any way to recover my notes from my database if I`m intending to use hud still?
    If so...How?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zsolesz View Post
    Hi,
    The recent big database update managed to corrupt my database, which got my hud messed up. I`ve reimported all the HH files, but never did my notes. Before the update was done a backup was created. Since I didn`t have those issues before the update I assume that database is fine. Is it safe to import those notes to my new updated database? If yes, could you provide step by step instructions please!
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by DogNamedBluff View Post

3) Tick only Notes
    4) Set to Overwrite DB
    3) Start Restore
    I`ve done exacly as instructed....and the result....I had my notes and my hud...for about 5 minutes....then HUD gone...properly...Of course I`ve made a backup just in case...So I`ve restored that....and everything became fine again...
    I used one of my older backups...one before the update...So the questions are:
    Is there any way to recover my notes from my database if I`m intending to use hud still?
    If so...How?
    Thanks
    - Make the _obsolete database active > backup > [x] player notes > [x] skip database
    - Make the new database active where you imported only the hands > restore the backup file you created in the steps above > [x] Player notes > [x] overwrite database

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    - Make the _obsolete database active > backup > [x] player notes > [x] skip database
    - Make the new database active where you imported only the hands > restore the backup file you created in the steps above > [x] Player notes > [x] overwrite database
    Actually I was 95% sure I`ve done exactly that. So I did it again, to make sure. Result is the exact same...No hud at all with notes imported in. Not even table finder sees the tables. I also tried to import hand notes. I don`t know if that made a difference or not.
    So anyway...doing it back gets the hud right again...

Actually I was 95% sure I`ve done exactly that. So I did it again, to make sure. Result is the exact same...No hud at all with notes imported in. Not even table finder sees the tables. I also tried to import hand notes. I don`t know if that made a difference or not.
    So anyway...doing it back gets the hud right again...
    Is there any chance you are also restoring the HUD Settings or other config files that could be causing this? I think the best idea at this point would be a remote support session so one of our technicians can take a closer look at this problem. If they can duplicate the problem on your system they will probably want to get a copy of the backup files and a sample of hands to see if they can duplicate it on their own machines.

Please email hm2support@holdemmanager.com, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Please let us know when you are available in GMT time for a teamviewer session. Please remember that we schedule a couple days in advance and need to fit into our schedules. So give us a few days' range of times and notice.

Download the Teamviewer Quick Support Module - http://www.holdemmanager.com/teamviewer.

Please read this important information before our teamviewer session. We cannot do the teamviewer session until all those issues are addressed below:
    1 - Make sure you have updated your windows using the "Windows Update" feature Microsoft Windows Update
    * - Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer 9 (even if you use a different web browser) and change your Windows Control Panel > Regional Settings Format to English (USA).
    2 - Make sure Holdem Manager is updated to the latest version Downloads and Manuals - Hold'Em Manager, Omaha Manager & HM Apps
    3 - Please make sure you have access to a good connection, we cannot provide support on really slow connections
    4 - Please allow us full access otherwise it slows down the speed at which we can fix the issue