postgres 9.2 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: postgres 9.2

Regular harddisk, I'd use: Vacuum + Full + Analyse.
    And Reindex

I've never used freeze and cluster.

On a SSD, I won't do ANY maintenance, unless I need to desperately get back some diskspace.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Levi I cannot PM you (its disabled in the forums for some reason). I would like to ask you if you still use postgresql 9.2 and if you had
    encountered any problem with the latest HEM2 builds. I will create a new database and I am thinking of going with the 9.2 myself.
    If you have any new suggestions/settings please let me know in this thread. thank you

Never had any problems, works great! Backing up my database and then trying to bring it back into 9.2 was a pain. I ended up making a new database and importing all the HHs from my archive folder. Thats the best way! No new settings besides the ones i posted earlier. It's been so long I forget the process, I think I made some posts about it in other threads as well.

If you're not worried about losing your database, then go for it! Worst case scenario, you mess everything up completely. You can always uninstall HEM/postgres and reinstall HEM.

The one thing I remember that may help you a lot, you can see which version of postgres is running in start > run > services. Which version is running will effect which databases load up when you start HEM. I wouldnt recommend starting or stopping either service while HEM is running, always close HEM before starting/stopping. After you install 9.2, you want to go to services and change 9.2's startup to automatic, and ( is it 8.4?) to manual.

After 9.2s installed you wanna change the config file like I posted earlier to the faster specs. Once thats done and HEM seems to be running fine (maybe give it a couple days?) you can uninstall 8.4. (once you uninstall you'll lose your DB's!)

Good luck

We don't officially recommend 9.2 but a couple of our testers use it without any issues. We definitely do not support 9.1 or 9.3. I personally use 9.0.

Quote Originally Posted by LeviJ88 View Post
    Ah ya, typo. 9.2. I'm sure 9.3 would work too. The main thing is getting to 9.0 where they upgrade it to 64-bit.

After reading a bunch of help webpages, postgresql configuration definitions, reading postgresql forum posts, and tinkering with each setting and restarting my computer over and over again and comparing speeds, I believe I got the best results from these settings. Half of them dont seem to make much of a difference, I just copied the list over from my 8.4 .conf

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.2\data\postgresql.conf

shared_buffers = 2048MB
    effective_cache_size = 4096
    work_mem = 64MB
    maintenance_work_mem = 64MB
    commit_delay = 10000
    checkpoint_segments = 128
    checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
    wal_buffers = 16MB

These seem to be the most important and gave me a noticeable increase;

shared_buffers = 2048MB
    effective_cache_size = 4096
    wal_buffers = 16MB

work mem/maintenance mem could be a lot higher, but I never noticed much of a difference. They say to keep it small because if you're running this on a system where lots of users connect to your computer/database, the strain on your comp would be these stats x users, they used 30users as an example. Would be a lot of memory usage. Could probly set these to 512 or even 1024 since the way we're using postgres and HEM its usually just us, 1 user. I never tried. I didnt notice a difference from 32 to 64 or 128.

Notecaddy is incredibly fast, I get 500h/sec pretty consistantly when doing all 180 of my definitions. When I added 6 new definitions, it went over my entire 7m hand database going at 2300h/sec the whole way. pretty sick
    3 years late but hopefully there's a chance you respond
    I'm wondering which OS do you use? Are those speeds possible in windows 7 pro 64 bit? I've read max recommended shared buffers for windows is 512mb.

https://gyazo.com/866fdd6253a72b77c34c0c07d0abbdb2

This is my system I'm trying to get the most of out it and I appreciate any advice.
    I'll search the postgres forums and play around as well in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    We don't officially recommend 9.2 but a couple of our testers use it without any issues. We definitely do not support 9.1 or 9.3. I personally use 9.0.
    And now? Which is the best 64-bit version of postgre?

And what is the recommended way to install the 64-bit postgre, since I already have the HM2 installed?

Quote Originally Posted by ColinsFil View Post
    And now? Which is the best 64-bit version of postgre?

And what is the recommended way to install the 64-bit postgre, since I already have the HM2 installed?
    I am using 9.3 and also have 9.5 installed. I still recommend 9.3 but any of them up to 9.5 should work. I know they recently released 9.6 but I haven't tried it or seen any feedback from users good or bad about it yet.

If you already have HM2 and the 8.4 version of PSQL installed that our installer uses then use the following instructions to remove it and install 9.3:

Make sure windows is fully updated until 'No New Important Updates are Found' (this may require multiple restarts and multiple 'check for updates'), including Internet Explorer (even if you use a different web browser).

Please note that reinstalling PostgreSQL will mean losing all your old data. If you have access to HM2 and your database was not corrupt then please follow these instructions for backing up your database as a precaution in case you cannot reconnect after reinstalling PostgreSQL.

If you cannot access the database in HM2 then you can backup your database using this method but if your database was corrupt then the best solution is to reimport all your hands from C:/HM2archive folder or if your pokersite supports it you can request all your hands and summaries and reimport them as restoring a corrupt database will just restore all the problems you had.

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.

2) Delete the \PostgreSQL\X.x\data folder that is left behind.

3) Delete the sub-folder(s) in c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\HoldemManager\Da tabase (XP - c:\documents and settings\username\application data\HoldemManager\Database).

4) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete

After you click 'Enter' for the code above also do that same for this code:

sc delete postgresql-8.4

and click 'Enter' again.

5) Restart your PC

6) Install PostgreSQL 9.3 from here.

7) Once installed you should disable the postgresql logging as instructed here.

If there is still an issue, we need to know the error - it is in the temp folder - bitrockinstaller.txt file. If you can't see it, turn off the windows option that is hiding that directory.