PokerStars continuing lagging issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PokerStars continuing lagging issue

Hello. I just tried playing on PokerStars again for the first time in a few months, and I am still have a lagging issue. I play $1/2 NLHE and multi-table up to Stars' allowed max of 24 tables. I think I've determined that the lagging problem occurs ONLY when I have HEM open, especially when I am auto-importing.

I don't know what's wrong. I do NOT have this lagging problem on Full Tilt, and I have many more saved hands in HEM on Full Tilt than I do on Stars. This lagging problem occurred all of a sudden back in January after a software update on Stars after I had been playing on there for about a week. I emailed Stars' support back then, and after running a "Network Status Report" via an option in the Stars' lobby, I emailed them the results and they replied saying that the problem was likely my old Linksys Wireless G router. Well, I have now purchased and have been using a new Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wirless-N router (WNDR3700), and I am still having the same lagging problems as with my old G router.

I am not sure what to do now to try and fix this problem. The only solutions I can think of are that I need a faster computer processor and RAM (although I have a fairly new and fast computer--Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM), or I need to try another stats program like PokerTracker3. I also have Windows 7, 64-bit, 203/287 GB of free space available on my hard drive, and have basic "Performance" cable internet via Comcast with max download speed up to 12 Mbps and max upload up to 2 Mbps.

I am almost positive that I have everything set up properly in HEM, like in Configure Auto Import, so I don't think this is the source of the problem. I will email Stars' support again and see what they say as well.

Please let me know what you think I should do.

Thank you.

HEM version 1.10.06a

Do you have prefetch or live-tracking enabled for stars?

Please see our performance tips: FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Holdem Manager Performance & Speed Tweaks

I only have pre-fetch enabled for both Stars and Full Tilt. Should I also enable live-tracking for both?

In the performance tips link you gave me above under Operating System, I tried to Turn off indexing in my harddisk properties by "un-checking" Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to the properties, but I get the following messages:

I "un-check" the box > OK > You have chosen to make the following attribute changes: disable indexing. Already selected for me is Apply changes to drive C:\, subfolders and files > OK > Access Denied. You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes. Click Continue to complete this operation. > Continue > Error Applying Attributes. An error occurred applying attributes to the file: C:\Boot\memtest.exe. Access is denied. > there are 4 options I can click: Ignore, Ignore All, Try Again, or Cancel--**Which one should I choose?

try turning off UAC and reboot and try that again, sounds like a permission issue
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

I already have UAC turned off. Any other suggestions on how I should turn off indexing on my hard drive?

What about the other topic of my enabling pre-fetch and live-tracking for both Full Tilt and Stars, especially to fix my Stars lagging problem? I've always had pre-fetch enabled for both sites, but I've never enabled live-tracking for either site. What is live-tracking anyways?

Thank you.

Im not sure why it wont let you turn of indexing, try posting in that perfromance tips thread and someone may be able to help or try googling the problem.

Live tracking shows pots odds, while you play, try disabling both live tracking and prefetch so you can rule that out, did you also try all the other recommendations in that thread, did you try creating a new database and see if that made any difference?

Also try these tips if you havent already

Can you make sure your Opacity slider in Hud options > Player Preferences> Appearance TAB is 100% to the right and also do the same for the mucked cards Opacity

Also keep task manager running and have it sort by CPU in the Processes TAB and see what is using the most CPU when the lagging happens.

Try disabling as many programs as possible such as AHK scripts,Firewall, limewire,Mikogo etc and Antiviruses and if they cant be disabled make sure you add all these programs to the exceptions list such as HMhud.exe,DBcontrol panel.exe and holdemmanager.exe from the Holdem Manager folder aswell as any of the other programs that happen to be running, sometimes for example the antivirus/firewall etc scan every file thats been processed and it can slow things down so running with as few programs as possible.

Also going to control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer and copy and paste any description if there are any error or information events that coincide with the time of the lagging.

Go to Hud Options > Site Options and disable all the prefetch/track live hands options

Lastly make sure your graphics driver is up to date as this can make a big difference to lagging even with a brand new PC.
    FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How To Update Your Graphics Card Driver
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

About turning off indexing in my harddisk...before I try posting in the peformace tips thread or googling about it, do you think I should first try clicking 1 of the 4 options I list above at the end of my previous thread from 07/09/2010 at 6:53 am? I was afraid to click the wrong one so each time I tried it I just closed the popup box.

No, I have not created a new database yet. I need to do that on account of my other problem with my inability to now complete Reindexing in Pgadmin III.

I had my opacity slider in Hud options > Player Preferences > Appearance tab in the middle only for Stars. I've moved it all the way to the right now.

**[B]Should I also un-check "Won/Loss mucked" under Hud options > table Preferences? I like using this feature but I remember reading somewhere that this can also cause lagging.

I have all of the applicable programs listed as exceptions in my free AVG antivirus and in my Windows firewall. Should I actually try turning both programs OFF when I'm playing poker?

I'll also try disabling prefetch and update my gracphics driver, and keep in mind and look at the other tips you gave me.

Thanks a lot.

In my opinion... "Ignore" though you may find it will ask if you should ignore others too

This is Vista, but same problem:
    Problem turning off indexing in Vista-need help!
    (To be honest I don't know if indexing is THAT big a drain anyway... )

Sorry about the colour madness

## INDEXING ##
    This is from an SSD tweak guide, but it is also saying you should "Ignore" (red highlight). Did you do this blue bit also ? (blue highlight)

Description:
    Indexing creates and maintains a database of file attributes. This can lead to multiple small writes when creating/deleting/modifying files. Searching for files will still work.

Instructions: Start Menu -> Right-Click Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services - > Right-Click Windows Search -> Startup type: Disabled -> OK

Description: We also need to stop Windows 7 indexing the SSD. SSD drives seek so fast that Indexing is not needed. In fact, while Windows 7 is indexing the SSD it is slowing down your system.

Instructions: Go to Computer -> Right click on SSD Drive -> Properties -> Uncheck 'Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties' -> Click OK
    Once you unchecked indexing follow the onscreen instructions, you may have to skip some files you do not have access to.

### won/loss mucked ##

You write: "Should I also un-check "Won/Loss mucked" under Hud options > table Preferences?" - You can't do that !! It's too important !! IMO It's one of the best HM features

Maybe you were referring to this part of HM where you can remove the WinnerName, WinnerCards and WinnerWon from the Hands View Column Selector ?

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Hands View Column Selection

(Though does that reduce lag during play ? I would have thought it only shortens the time to load the hands view when analysing your play ?)

###
    Last edited by _Loki_; 07-11-2010 at 03:17 AM.