Composite Note Definition Error
    HM2 Shark Tank Member

Default Composite Note Definition Error

Hi,

I'm trying to create a composite note definition out of two note definitions that count total instances (missed opportunities are not counted). I want the composite definition to create a value by dividing one count by the other. When I enter "notegroup.notenameX/namegroup.notenameY" into the box labeled "Expression" and try to save, I get an error that says "Error validating expression: Missing operator". Is there any sort of guide for proper formation of composite expressions?

Thanks!

HM2 Shark Tank Member

A follow up question is whether I need to do something special to a note definition to make its name a suitable variable in a composite note definition expression. I was under the impression that a count value is automatically created behind the scenes if you don't choose to count missed opportunities (which would give you a %), but maybe I need to do something to the note definition first to make that true?

No direction but to trust the final destination

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to create a composite note definition out of two note definitions that count total instances (missed opportunities are not counted). I want the composite definition to create a value by dividing one count by the other. When I enter "notegroup.notenameX/namegroup.notenameY" into the box labeled "Expression" and try to save, I get an error that says "Error validating expression: Missing operator". Is there any sort of guide for proper formation of composite expressions?

Thanks!
    The format is discussed in the manual Composite Definitions - Assaultware Wiki
    It is NC."Note-Definition"

A follow up question is whether I need to do something special to a note definition to make its name a suitable variable in a composite note definition expression. I was under the impression that a count value is automatically created behind the scenes if you don't choose to count missed opportunities (which would give you a %), but maybe I need to do something to the note definition first to make that true?
    If you put the name in quotes, it can be anything you want it to be, including things like +,- etc. The rest of your post is accurate
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

HM2 Shark Tank Member

Quote Originally Posted by sreticentv View Post
    The format is discussed in the manual Composite Definitions - Assaultware Wiki
    It is NC."Note-Definition"

If you put the name in quotes, it can be anything you want it to be, including things like +,- etc. The rest of your post is accurate

Okay, great, making progress. Thanks. I've created a composite definition and included it, and each of its components, numerator and denominator, on my HUD for testing. After processing all notes, the numerator and denominator of my composite statistic expression are appearing on my HUD as "100". I'm assuming that this is a percentage, not a count, because I have far more than 100 instances for each. As I said before, I am not taking notes for missed opportunities, so I should be getting a count. Any ideas?
    Last edited by BrassMonkey; 09-19-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Okay, great, making progress. Thanks. I've created a composite definition and included it, and each of its components, numerator and denominator, on my HUD for testing. After processing all notes, the numerator and denominator of my composite statistic expression are appearing on my HUD as "100". I'm assuming that this is a percentage, not a count, because I have far more than 100 instances for each. As I said before, I am not taking notes for missed opportunities, so I should be getting a count. Any ideas?
    On the HUD always shows percentages for NC items. If you want to test the definitions you're using to compose a composite then you should be using definition analysis (right click the definition->analyze) as it will give you a nice report on who got the note, when, why, etc
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

HM2 Shark Tank Member

On the HUD always shows percentages for NC items. If you want to test the definitions you're using to compose a composite then you should be using definition analysis (right click the definition->analyze) as it will give you a nice report on who got the note, when, why, etc
    Cool, I've been testing away. Thanks!

Is it possible to either show or perform rounding upon the decimal result of a composite definition expression? The currently functionality truncates the decimal portion of the result when displayed in popups. For example, if I have an expression that performs 8/5, and set that value in a popup cell, specifying "1" decimal, I get the value "1.0" in the cell, instead of "1.6". If I set the decimal value to "0" in the popup cell, I get "1".

Also, what is the number in parenthesis in the popup cells, i.e., "(100)"? Can I get rid of that?

Cool, I've been testing away. Thanks!

Is it possible to either show or perform rounding upon the decimal result of a composite definition expression? The currently functionality truncates the decimal portion of the result when displayed in popups. For example, if I have an expression that performs 8/5, and set that value in a popup cell, specifying "1" decimal, I get the value "1.0" in the cell, instead of "1.6". If I set the decimal value to "0" in the popup cell, I get "1".
    You can specify a precision in the popup editor on the bottom right. Set it to 1 or 2 for a better result

Also, what is the number in parenthesis in the popup cells, i.e., "(100)"? Can I get rid of that?
    That's the sample size which for composites is always 100. That cannot be removed

HM2 Shark Tank Member

Changing the precision in the popup editor just adds zeros to the already unrounded, truncated value. As I explained, if you were to create a composite that divides 8 by 5, the displayed value in the popup would be 1. If you select a precision of "1", you see the value 1.0. If you select a precision of "2", you see the value 1.00.

HM2 Shark Tank Member

You can specify a precision in the popup editor on the bottom right. Set it to 1 or 2 for a better result

That's the sample size which for composites is always 100. That cannot be removed
    Changing the precision in the popup editor just adds zeros to the already unrounded, truncated value. As I explained, if you were to create a composite that divides 8 by 5, the displayed value in the popup would be 1. If you select a precision of "1", you see the value 1.0. If you select a precision of "2", you see the value 1.00.

Thank you. I am now able to reproduce it. It will allow more precision in the next version