Something that could be huge for Omaha players

Default Something that could be huge for Omaha players

In Holdem it's a very useful exercise to have a look at your database and see how you are doing in a certain spot eg: opening from the button and looking at the hole cards report to see how individual hands are doing. (to get a meaningful idea I generally group a couple of similar hands together eg: 87s,97s,T9o.)

Doing this in Omaha doesn't achieve much since there are so many hands to look at so the sample size is too small to have any meaning. It would be great to have a report that could rank Omaha hands and then see how each clump of range is doing, I think 5% chunks is meaningful.

So the report would look like:

cards | hands | vpip |pfr|bb/100
    0-5% | 567 | 100| 87| 45
    5-10%
    10-15%

etc.

Now obviously you need a ranking of hands in order to do this and the people at propokertools have done just this.This is a difficult thing to achieve since straight equity-wise, many players might argue that a particular hand in the 60-65% range is more playable than in the 40-45% range , just like 98s is is more playable than A2o in holdem, but they have come up with a program which apparently has solved this:

Poker Coder: Towards a Meaningful Ordering of Hands

And this is the result for 6 handed play. (they also have a ranking for 10 handed and hu)

http://propokertools.com/orderings/oh6maxordering.txt

Obviously HM2 would need to ask their permission to use their work, but hopefully they would be happy to have their work more widely recognised.

It really could be incredibly useful in figuring out things like just how wide your bb defence range, btn opening range, 3 bet range etc etc should be.

We are looking into some omaha reports. I am adding this to the write up.

I just wanted to follow up on this, as I am having trouble finding documentation to explain the way Omaha rankings currently work. What does 50% mean for Omaha rankings? Is it simply how the hand does against a random hand?

Are you referring to a HM2 Report/View or something in general with regards to '50% in Omaha rankings'?

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    Are you referring to a HM2 Report/View or something in general with regards to '50% in Omaha rankings'?
    Reports->More Filters->Hole Card Filters->Omaha->Custom Omaha Filter

Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: Custom Omaha Filter

Yes. It is their ranking in terms of pre-flop strength, or in other words how they would do against a random unknown hand.