Is there a way to synch HM on 2 computers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there a way to synch HM on 2 computers?

Just installed HM on my laptop running Windows 7 64 bit and wondered if there is any way to synch both computers.

I mostly play during the day using the desktop, but would like to play sometimes at night while watching tv using the laptop.

Would like to be able to have all the info I have on the desktop available on the laptop when I use it. And then, if using the desktop the next day, have the info from the previous night's session on the laptop on the desktop.

We need a synchronize button

I think this is how I would do it although I haven't gone into it deeply - Make your desktop the DB server & when you run HEM on your laptop it uses the DB on your desktop

Network your laptop & server together by wire or over the internet or by wi-fi

Of those 3 options I would use WiFi because - no wires, it's very easy to set up with the new routers, it's reliable & it's safe (if you apply what it says in the 2nd link)

FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Run PostgreSQL Over a Network

Wireless Security - WiFi Wireless Home Network Security Tips
    Last edited by _Loki_; 03-26-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Default Postgres not like in instructions

Ran into a problem trying to follow the instructions.
    It says to add a new line to the postressql.conf file but it won't let me.
    When I open that program it wanted a file that I found in the data directory and loaded it but there are many many many options there with most of the boxes unchecked. There was a box for list address and I checked then and entered the ip addresses of the desktop and laptop separated by a comma. Don't know if that is right or not.

But the instruction after that says to add a line and I can't. Tried help etc. but find no way to add a new line. Clicking on the small blank space at the end of the list does nothing. Right click doesn't work either.

It appears the instructions for Windows 7 may be different, dunno.

I'm still using postres 8.3 but most of the instructions seem to show that so it ought work but it doesn't. Not sure if listing the ip addresses was correct or not. Can't add the new line like it say.

What should I do next?

Hi Arizona

I've never attempted to do what you are doing - I don't have network knowledge. So... I may be misunderstanding your post so forgive me if I'm writing stuff you know (or stuff that's wrong)

posgresql.conf file:
    you are only being asked to modify the a* line in that file
    I'm not sure which is the 'listen address(s)' though. I don't know if it's right to put 2 in one line. I would have thought you put your servers static IP address in there only just as it says in the FAQ (or at least that's how I interpret it)

you are not being asked to add a line in the posgressql.conf file, but in the pg_hba.conf file
    when I open my pg_hba.conf file I have two filled-in lines & box in the 3rd line - highlight & double click that line & you get a popup with drop-down boxes so that you can design a new line
    repeat the process to get the same as shown in the faq
    Last edited by _Loki_; 03-27-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Default no luck

no luck so far.

I did manage to get it so HM wouldn't even run

finally managed to undo the changes and got HM running again on the desktop.

I removed the postgres from the laptop entirely to make sure it couldn't access a local database. If it ever works it will be over the network.

I was under the impression ( probably mistaken ) that we had to put a check in the box for listen addresses in the postgres.conf file and then list the addresses we wanted it to listen to and also put them in the pb_hba.conf file.

Hmmm, maybe I'll take another shot at it this afternoon.

It says to add a new line to the postressql.conf file but it won't let me.
    Not really sure whats going on there, can you post a screenshot to illustrate?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Default new line solved

That problem eventually got resolved. Dunno what was going wrong.

But I still haven't gotten it working from the laptop over my wireless network.

Going to try again in a bit.

Default different postgres version --- problem?

I just noticed that when I installed HM on the laptop it installed postgres 8.4 and i'm using 8.3 on the desktop.

I have since removed postgres from the laptop so that probably shouldn't make a difference, unless HM is looking for an 8.4 version of the postgres because it was installed with that.

Do I need to update my postgres to 8.4?

No need to update unless your having issues or something like that but its not neccessary
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Default still no joy

On the desktop

I put the * in the postgressql.conf file.

I open the pg_hba.conf file in pgadmin III and the Backend Access Configuration Editor comes up and I load the pg_hba.conf file.

I add the line host all postgres 192.168.1.102 md5

I start and stop the service

All according to instructions.

When I start HM on the laptop I get this error:

If I close that error and click < connect > again I get this error:

In desperation I have used the edit pg_hba conf found under PostgreSQL on the all programs menu which loads the file into Notepad.

I have it looking like this:

When I go back into PGAMIN III and reload the pg_hba.conf file it comes up like this:

The last line in the flle does not show up even though it was put into the pg_hba.conf file by using the Backend Access Configuration Editor!!

I put the line in the editor and saved it and stopped and started the service and when I looked at the pg_hba.conf file in Notepad the line was added at the end, but when I reload it it does not show in the editor.

And everything crashes when I try to run it from the laptop.

I have tried it with HM runing on the desktop and not running on the desktop.

Just can't get it to work. Don't understand why the correct line that IS in the pg_hba.conf file doesn't show up when loaded in the editor.

Oh yea, I have disabled the firewall on the desktop and it made no difference.

Does postgres have to be on the laptop too even though it is not being used as I am attempting to use postgres on the desktop over the network?