problem starting HM caused by postgress

Default problem starting HM caused by postgress

Hello

I suddenly have a problem starting HM. The problem is that i cannot conntect with postgress.

First my computer says there is 'windows delayed write failed - windows was unable to save all the data for the files xxx (the postgress location). The data has been lost. This error may be cause by....etc..'
    This happend before but HM never gave me a problem untill today.If I start Hm it tells me i cannot connect with postgress. If i start it manually i get the following message:

Connecton error: unable to read data from the transport conneciton. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

System.IO.IOException: unable to read data from the transport conneciton. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host --> system.net.sockets.socketException

this contiunes with some specifics

Anyway hope you can help me

mmm saw in another topic someone who updated to postgress 8.4. i did tgat too now it suddenly says that database holemmanager does not exist

Did it lose my whol DB?

Where did you see that regarding 8.4 ?

I'm not qualified to answer your last post, but that transport connection thing is dealt with here:
    FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL

I think you should read it, but don't try anything suggested in it until support have seen this thread

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/mana...te-failed.html

addtionally, i already installed 8.4 so your FAQ is not really helpfull

Thanks for the link

Can someone helpme?

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue although it might be something different as that error is unusual but nonetheless the fixes should be similar

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Windows Firewall / Defender Problems - Windows Firewall / Defender Problems

Please try following these FAQs, step by step:

1) FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL Can't Connect / Failed to Start PostgreSQL
    2) reinstall the same version of postgresql, using the same \data folder - FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: Reinstall PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database PostgreSQL Preserving Old Database
    3) Still Can't Connect to PosgreSQL? Try This! - Holdem Manager Forums

If that doesn't help you will probably have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely and reimport your hands using these instructions

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
    2) Use our combo installer to reinstall PostgreSQL. Make sure you un-check Holdem Manager during installation. http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...ager_Setup.exe

If that installer fails to install PostgreSQL, please reinstall PostgreSQL using the following instructions:
    A) Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
    PHP Code:
    net user postgres /delete 
    B) Reboot.
    C) Try installing this version of PostgreSQL - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloa...3.9-v1.0.7.exe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Before i proceed. I installed postgres 8.4 when i restarted hm it worked but i had too create a new db all the old db's weren't there. Can i still do the above instructions and get my db back? Or not harm it?

Thank you

Your database is still on 8.3, but it looks like you can no longer connect to it due to those errors so the only way to recover the hands is if you have the hands archived, they should be in C:/Hmarchive or whatever folder you specified to archive hands to, then import them into the new database
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

decided to remove 8.3 and leave 8.4 on. HM works and i am now reimporting the hands
    Last edited by Rolo1984; 04-02-2010 at 05:53 PM.