timeout during DB update after installing 1.12.10b update

Default timeout during DB update after installing 1.12.10b update

I installed the 1.12.10b update. Now when I start HoldemManager it tries to update the DB but times out.

I get the following error message:

"An error occured while updating your DB (returned amount support): A timeout has occured. If you were establishing a connection, increase Timeout value in ConnectionString. If you were executing a command, increase the CommandTimeout value in ConnectionString or in your NpgsqlCommand object.

Please close down any programs accessing the database and relaunch Holdem Manager."

How can this be fixed?

Windows 7 (64bit)

The update runs a database update which may need more than 10 minutes if your database is large or your computer slow. Just let it run overnight and make sure to have enough free space on your HDD.

If you can't get past that error you may need to create a new database and import your original hands to rebuild your database.

Manually run the \rvg software\holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe > connect > create new database

*Now import your \HMArchive - http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...6+Export+Hands

All original hands that are auto-imported get moved to an archive for performance reasons. Your \HMArchive is likely not in your \Holdem Manager directory. We normally suggest you use C:\HMArchive, but you may have put it anywhere. The archive should be organized by \Month\DayOfMonth (example: D:\HMArchive\2009\07\31).

If you need to access your old database to export hands/results/notes you can rollback to 1.12.09 and run the dbcontrolpanel.exe to select your old database to export any necessary data. Then you can close it and update to 1.12.10b again.

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...or+Past+Builds

i have exactly the same problem. how much free disc space shall be free? as big as the database?

Yes, you need nearly the same amount of available diskspace as the size of the database.
    (similarly as when you need that much diskspace if you want to perform a vacuum/analyse, reindex, or backup/restore on the database)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    The update runs a database update which may need more than 10 minutes if your database is large or your computer slow. Just let it run overnight and make sure to have enough free space on your HDD.
    Do you mean I should let the computer running even if that message comes up? It only takes a few minutes to appear and if I click okay HEM is terminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    Yes, you need nearly the same amount of available diskspace as the size of the database.
    (similarly as when you need that much diskspace if you want to perform a vacuum/analyse, reindex, or backup/restore on the database)
    My DB is 285 GB with 191 GB of free space. Will this suffice? If no, how do I move it to a bigger partition?

If you get a "not responding" window, ignore it and wait. The program will unfreeze after the update.

If you get the TIME OUT error:
    "An error occured while updating your DB (returned amount support): A timeout has occured. If you were establishing a connection, increase Timeout value in ConnectionString. If you were executing a command, increase the CommandTimeout value in ConnectionString or in your NpgsqlCommand object.

the update will likely never finish. On which site did you play these hands? Ideally, create a new database and reimport your hands.
    To move a database to a bigger partition read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...iveOrPartition

Also DELETE all files in your Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.x/data/pg_log folder
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Is there any point in moving the db if the issue is the timeout? Is this related to diskspace if it appears so quickly?

The hands are from several different networks.
    Reimporting those hands will literally take at least 2 weeks of around the clock importing.

I disabled logging. There are no files in the log folder.

Quote Originally Posted by louiscyphre View Post
    Is there any point in moving the db if the issue is the timeout? Is this related to diskspace if it appears so quickly?
    I am not sure if the issue is related to free space but it might be worth the time to try moving it to another partition (assuming you have one with enough space for the database AND the same amount of free space considering how big your database is and how long it will take to import.

The hands are from several different networks.
    Reimporting those hands will literally take at least 2 weeks of around the clock importing.
    Is this database all your own hero hands or does it also contain a large number of mined hands? You should be able to break it up into sections for reimporting starting with the most recent hands. Once you import the /2012 and /2011 hands I would think you would have enough data to be able to play again and then you can import all the older data later if you feel you need it all in your new database. 18 months of hands/data should be adequate for playing since anything older than that is likely not extremely relevant to how they are playing today.

On a related note: If you were using HM2 your database would be somewhat smaller and the importing would be significantly faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    Well, this worked for me. After vacuum/analyze-ing my DB from ~110GB down to ~65GB (which worked for me with a free disc space around 20GB when i started it // took ~14hours), i could finally apply the patch. Thanks for help.