Computer hardware help.

Default Computer hardware help.

Uhm not sure if this is the correct place to put this. Feel free to move it.

Anyways I'm thinking of building a new computer soon so I was wondering about some stuff.

Is there a noticable difference betwen intel core i7 and the i5 ? Hyperthreading affects HM2 enough to make it worthwhile to get the i7? Owh and also is there a huge difference betwen i7/i5 and a cheaper 4 core CPU?

Also any recomendations on which SSD to get? I'm kinda clueless when it comes to hardware.

Would greatly apreciate the help

if you are replacing the motherboard as well i suggest the the phenom II x6 processor as a less expensive equalivalent to the cpu's you are suggesting and for the ssd i would suggest the intel 500 series (what you sacrifice be it very small in flops you gain in stability with this drive) just my 2 cents

HoldemManager doesn't support hyper-threading... hardly ANY program actually does.
    So a 4 core i5 will also be good.
    (note: some i5s only have 2 cores)

SSD: read: Best SSDs For The Money: February 2012 : Best SSDs For The Money: February 2012
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Thanks for the link. I was wondering tho if the i5 2500k is vastly superior to other CPUs like the amd fx-4170?

Also i guess two SSD in RAID 0 is insanely faster than just one SSD?

i5/i7 at the moment has better performance than any AMD CPU. (note: AMD setup can be cheaper, because the mainboard is also less expensive)

2x SSDs in RAID0: only the sequential read speeds will nearly double. But it also comes with high risk; it one drive fails (actually very COMMON due to power outage, system crash, firmware update, etc.) corrupting the RAID array you lose all data. So it's an consideration between speed and stability you'll have to make. (where I would choose for stability)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Default Software help

Thanks alot for the help Patvs. I've decided to follow your recomendation and go with one SSD only. This is my first build after all and I should probably keep it simple. Now since this is my first build there're a couple things I'm completly clueless about and the last thing I want is to screw something up so I was thinking of asking you, the great knowledgable Patvs . I'm mainly concerned about updating/installing drivers/firmware and if I should do it for every component including the SSD. I'll post my new system which will be coming shortly.

Motherboard = MK ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN 3 S.1155, Z68, ATX
    CPU = Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz
    RAM = Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE
    GPU = Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 1024MB OC
    PSU = Fractal Design Tesla 550W 80+
    SSD = Samsung SSD Basic 830-Series 128GB
    HDD = 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA 6Gbit/s

As I mentioned earlier I'm mainly concerned about configurating the BIOS (I think I've got a hang of it tho) and uppdating/installing drivers/firmware correctly. I'm also curious if I need to back my data up. I keep reading about this and I have no clue how to do it. Is it neccesarry?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the motherboard I have uses the new UEFI BIOS thingy right? Where you can click your way thru. So it shouldn't be too difficult for me to install the OS and change some stuff around? All I need to do is set the boot priority to CDROM as first and the SSD to second, put in the windows 7 disk, change something about the SSD to AHCI or something? When the computer restarts I install Win 7 and thats it?

What I'm the most worried about is this last part. Installing/updating firmwares/drivers. Should I just go crazy and go to every single components website and dowload the latest firmware/drivers? What about the SSD? Should I avoid getting the latest firmware/update so I don't screw everything up? Do I go into the device manager and see which drivers are missing and get those only? Seriously what do I do. I'm completly clueless about this. Also should I back up my data? If yes, how?

Thanks for your help , really apreciate it <3

Hi,
    normally you donīt have to update your BIOS manually.

On the website from ASRock you can find all drivers you need : ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 > Download

Correct me if I'm wrong but the motherboard I have uses the new UEFI BIOS thingy right? Where you can click your way thru. So it shouldn't be too difficult for me to install the OS and change some stuff around? All I need to do is set the boot priority to CDROM as first and the SSD to second, put in the windows 7 disk, change something about the SSD to AHCI or something? When the computer restarts I install Win 7 and thats it?
    Thats correct

First I would install Windows, install all drivers which are needed, and make all Windows updates.

For updating and setting up your SSD, please have a look here : Windows 7 and SSDs: Setup secrets and tune-up tweaks | ZDNet

I think I5 is enough.Unless your PC is going to work as a server.