Sharing a database between two computers

Default Sharing a database between two computers

since sync is pretty much useless until it is possible to sync only a certain time/date range of hands and not having to upload the entire DB i tried to do the same think that i had set up for HM1 which is the following:

http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...o+computers%3F

now when i go to reports on my laptop with the external HDD attached it wont show me any hands although the actual DB is there.. is there a reason why this solution wouldnt work in HM2?

In HM2: 60% of data is saved in the PostgreSQL database (on your external HDD)
    But 40% is stored locally in the:
    Windows 7: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database folder

... so this won't work.
    Alternative: Instead of using a 'shared' database, setup a synchronize system yourself.
    For example use Microsoft MESH, so the archive folder of PC1 is added as an import folded on PC2 (and vice versa)
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

When first installing HM2 and starting it up, it either asks to create a new database and also whether or not to use the database parent folder or whatever which is Windows 7: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database folder. would it be possible to re-direct this portion onto the external HDD as well, do the same on PC2 and then have both the PSQL portion and the portion that is usually stored locally on the external HDD?

MESH sounds like a good idea in theory, however importing from my archives isn't working whatsoever and only imports a small fraction of my actual hands.

Yes, if you create a new database, and set the location of the roaming folder on the external drive... and do this for both computers, theoretically both databases would 'share' the same roaming folder.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    In HM2: 60% of data is saved in the PostgreSQL database (on your external HDD)
    But 40% is stored locally in the:
    Windows 7: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\ Database folder
    Why did you decide to do this with HM2?

In HM1 there are a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise. If you don't want the space in your Roaming folder due to limited C: file space, we do give you the option of storing this data anywhere when creating the database.

General rule is 1 million hands = 10 GB.

In reality it's: 1 million hands
    HM1: 6.8 GB
    HM2: 4.3 GB
    PT4: 13.6 GB

So with a 10 million hand database you need a SSD of at least 60 GB (Windows) + 100 GB = 160 GB. We use 1 million = 10 GB (instead of 6.8) because when you want to perform a vacuum/analyse or backup/restore a database it will require a LOT of disk space to perform such a task.

We recommend you maintain more than 20% free space on your system drive. Please see this FAQ to clear up some more free space - Hold'Em Manager 2 FAQs - Poker Software :: I'm Running Out of Disk Space

Please see these guide to optimize your SSD:

Can You Get More Space Or Speed From Your SSD? - Optimizing Precious Solid-State Storage

High tech company strategies
    Regards udbrky (Chris)