Cannot detect the PostgreSQL database

Angry Cannot detect the PostgreSQL database

I've tried everything. I reinstalled both holdem manager and PostgreSQL at least 10 times and reboot again and again. I tried uninstalling both through the control panel and the cmd commands several times. I turned off the anti virus and the firewall. I installed all the possible versions of PostgreSQL. If I install PostgreSQL 8.3 it says "There was an error starting the service: postgresql-8.4" in HEM but if I install PostgreSQL 8.4 or 9.1 it tells me "There was an error starting the service: postgresql-8.3". Starting pgAdmin directly is also useless; it tells me could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
    I'm not sure what else I can do. I've already spent about 8 hours trying to get this to work...

If you have Win7 (or Vista), consider the following:
    1) PC name must be in English and "in one word" - requires reboot after changing.
    2) The same for Windows user name. If not - create new Win user with EN name and reboot PC for this user when install Postgres. And he must have admin rights. After installation you can kill this new user - his mission is completed.
    This means: if you have Russian (or French, or else) Windows - your PC name possibly contains "non-english" letters.
    Like "Вася-PC" or "Rene-PC"
    The same with windows username. Or spaces in the name.
    Postgres doesn't like that - and won't run as a result of it.
    3) Secondary logon service must be set to "Autostart".
    This is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services.
    4) UAC = OFF ( How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 Ŧ My Digital Life )
    5) Disable firewall and antivirus when installing Postgres and HM. Or uninstall them at all.
    6) All installations must run "as admin" (by right-click on file). And do them as first thing after PC reboot.
    7) If you want to change install path for Postgres (or to set non-default folder for database cluster) - download "standalone" installation file from Download PostgreSQL | EnterpriseDB
    8) If your Windows is not in English - you have to install Postgres not in default folder in Program_Files. Create new (example: c:\postgresql) first and select it when install.
    9) Install Postgres and HM separarelly, one after one. As admin. If HM (when runs for the 1st time) says "no database" - simply create it via DBControlpanel.
    10) If Postgres install fails - after uninstalling don't forget to kill windows user named "postgres":
    Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > Right-Click > Run As Administrator
    In the window that appears please type the following and press enter:
    net user postgres /del
    exactly as shown. You should get a confirmation if it was successful.
    11) Run all pokerclients "as admin" too.

And try to install Postgres on port 5433

I have a . in my username and I cannot change it or create a new one because it's a company computer. My UAC and my firewall were turned off but it didn't help. I have no problems installing Postgres but once I try to run it it won't connect. Same error as before:

Server doesn't listen
    The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports
    could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I get the error with 5433 too. Is it all because of the . in my username?

It's likely caused by the user name.

Try 8.2: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary...l-8.2.22-1.zip
    install it to port 5434 and connect to that instead.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here