Making HEM2 use PostgreSQL installed for PT3

Default Making HEM2 use PostgreSQL installed for PT3

I've downloaded and installed HEM2 trial. I"m trying to get it to start up the first time. Its trying to use the current PostgreSQL install on my new computer that I was using for PT3. I've never had HEM1 installed on this new computer but I did own a license for HEM1 in the past. And when I did install HEM 2 on this computer which has never had HEM 1 on it, I did log into HEM2 with my HEM 1 account information, not sure if this could cause a problem.

When HEM2 tries to connect, it says that it can't connect to the PostgreSQL install. I have on hand the login information for the PostgreSQL install on my new computer. It was set up by PT3 when I installed that. I have input the information from the PT3 install many times in many ways.

My PostgreSQL database is 8.3 version. I don't know if this is the problem and that I need to somehow update to 8.4 (I don't know how to do this.) If upgrading is recommended, can instructions be provided?

I updated my windows updates and checked to see if PostgreSQL is being started automatically so those can't be the problem.

I have taken these steps based on the troubleshooting FAQ for HEM2 PostgreSQL troubleshooting.

On the set up wizard for Connect to PostgreSQL database I changed the information to match the PT3 install PostgreSQL database login information.

Here is the info I have from the PT3 PostgreSQL install:

Server: localhost
    Service User: postgres
    Database User: postgres
    Port:5432
    Password: svcPASS83
    Password: dbpass

I dont' know why there are 2 passwords but there are and I tried both.

I tried the following combinations:

Port: 5432
    User: postgres

Server: 127.0.0.1

Server: 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 was not in the PT3 log in information but the server name derived from the PT3 login information didn't work so I thought the numbers were code that was understood by the mechanism for HEM2 instead of the PT3 alphanumeric based server name.

I've tried everything I know how in order to get HEM 2 to connect to the PostgreSQL database on my computer and no luck yet. Can you give me some suggestions on how to make this work?
    Last edited by MattSLY; 03-13-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Install HM2 with the full installer and let HM2 install PostgreSQL (it will attempt to install PostgreSQL 8.4)
    Or manually install PostgreSQL 8.4: read, http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...tallPostgreSQL

Password during installation: dbpass (since you used PT3 before).
    If it doesn't accept that, delete the postgres user:

click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

/
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

I tried a couple things after reading your post that haven't worked. First, I tried deleting the first HEM2 install and then reinstalling. When I did this I checked the box for installing PostgreSQL 8.4 along with installing HEM2. After I did this it ran a PostgreSQL test client thing (I might have gotten the name slightly wrong). As it ran this, the green progress bar sat at about 5% for 25 minutes. When it got to 25 minutes I thought something was wrong and that it wasn't working because I already had PostgreSQL 8.3 installed, so I opened windows task manager and ended the process.

Next I tried uninstalling PostgreSQL 8.3 and reinstalling HEM 2 again (and I would have picked to install PostgreSQL 8.4) but when I tried to install HEM2 I got the following error message:

I tried installing HEM 2 from not only the first download but from a new download and I got this error message for both.

Edit: The link you gave me above leads to a PostgreSQL 8.3 installer. Shouldn't that link be for the 8.4 installer?
    Last edited by MattSLY; 03-14-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Instructions how to manually install PostgreSQL are the same for 8.2/8.3/8.4/9.0

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Run a manual Windows Update and install all updates, including all .net framework updates.

Turn off User Account Control: How to Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7 « My Digital Life
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. My Firewall and Anti virus come from Norton 360.

Hi,
    Try uninstalling Norton and reinstalling after. Norton can be overzealous in attacking programs that it may think could cause problems