buyin filter not working - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

Since all these 3 tournies were $74 hyper turbos - having $EV < $-74 is obviously incorrect.
    Sorry for the delay in response. This statement is not correct and your EV is most likely correct. This is because not all chips changes are recorded, just the ones where you are allin before river. So, this series of events generate lot of negative "luck": You win a preflop race, you lose the same amount on the river showdown. You go "luck down" for X, then you go "luck up" for zero. If you repeat this many times, you can be -$176 lucky on your $74 sng.

Any news on the buyin filter issue I was having as this was the bug I posted initially about.

Anyway since we're talking about the EV issue
    Quote Originally Posted by DogNamedBluff View Post
    Sorry for the delay in response. This statement is not correct and your EV is most likely correct. This is because not all chips changes are recorded, just the ones where you are allin before river. So, this series of events generate lot of negative "luck": You win a preflop race, you lose the same amount on the river showdown. You go "luck down" for X, then you go "luck up" for zero. If you repeat this many times, you can be -$176 lucky on your $74 sng.
    Yeah I figured the Ev calculation was done the way you said it was - this to me is the part that is incorrect though - the calculation method. Ev is expected value after all and the fact remains that in a tournament you can't lose more than a buyin or win more than 1st prize so your expected value in a tournament can not be less than you're buy-in so I think a different sort of calculation method needs to be used, rather than adding and subtracting all the evs in a tournament, that seems like the easy way out and just can't see how it can be correct.

I mean you wouldn't think to yourself well I got really lucky in that $50 tournament no way should I have finished in the money, I really should have lost $200... does not make sense!

I'm not sure offhand what exactly would be the ideal calculation method. I'd imagine some sort of weighted, or perhaps some probability element i.e say you win a race being all-in as a 75% fav, then maybe the next time you're all-in should have 3/4 the weight of the first time etc.

Quote Originally Posted by luckylucky View Post
    rather than adding and subtracting all the evs in a tournament, that seems like the easy way out and just can't see how it can be correct.

There has been much debate on this 3-4 years ago. (with 2+2ers, the math geeks, forum users, and HM developer)
    The outcome of the discussion was that you're absolutely right the results for 1 game don't make ANY SENSE, if the EV is larger than what you can actually win, or bigger than you could actually lose... but allowing these values -outside of this range- will result in more accurate long term results.

TOURNEY EV
    In addition: the $EV Won can be confusing when it's negative and a larger number than the actual buyin, or positive and a larger number than the actual first price money.
    You have some extreme situations (often in Double or Nothing and in SUPER TURBO SNGs)
    Extreme examples:
    $169 buyin SUPER TURBO, $Won = $720 (1th place)---> $EV Won = -$196 (a negative value, that is bigger than the actual buyin)
    $5.20 buyin DoN, $Won = $10---> $EV Won = $11.35 (more than you can actually win!)
    But allowing these values -outside of this range- will result in more accurate long term results.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Default Any update on the actual buyin filter issue please

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    There has been much debate on this 3-4 years ago. (with 2+2ers, the math geeks, forum users, and HM developer)... but allowing these values -outside of this range- will result in more accurate long term results.
    Missed that debate. I can see how in the long term there might be an evening out factor. Personally I have to say I still feel dubious that this is the best way to do it but ok if that's what you're going with... I must check out that debate some time.

Anyway this EV issue was only the side issue - any chance that I can get an update on the actual bug of this thread.

The filtering is written up and the programmers are working on it.