HM2 DB suggestion request - low SSD disk space

Default HM2 DB suggestion request - low SSD disk space

Hi!

I've got 53 GB of free space left on my SSD. I have 2.5 million of my own tournament hands and over 40 million + growing cash game hands, which i am downloading every day, but i don't play cash yet, so those hands aren't yet essential. I already have \Program Files\PostgreSQL\data on D drive (HDD), now i am considering creating database parent folder on D drive aswell due to low disk space on SSD.

Can i create one DB for tournaments and keep holdem manager/database on SSD and then create another DB for cash for which i'll have both folders on HDD. Is that possible? Although i'd rather have cash + tourney hands both in the same DB as i'll probably play a few cash game tables with a few tourneys at the same time. Is it possible to keep the roaming/holdem manager/database folder on C drive and when i'll have too many hands to move it on D? Or to an external hard drive?
    How big is a performance difference from SSD to HDD? Where does it show? What do you reccommend that i do?

Eventually i'll buy a bigger SSD and will move every folder on that drive.
    Last edited by MassaTheChamp; 01-24-2012 at 05:55 PM.

It's not possible to change the location of the roaming/holdem manager/database folder.
    (You CAN choose the location when you create a NEW database, but can't CHANGE this location)

SSD vs HDD performance is immense: faster startup time, faster importing, being able to run reports faster, etc.

If you want two databases (for one tournaments in the SSD, and one for cashgames on the HDD):
    Install PostgreSQL 8.4.x to port 5432 (=default), with everything installed on the HDD, you use for cashgames.
    Install another version of PostgreSQL to port 5433, with everything installed on the SSD, for tournies.

Then switch between databases when you play tournies / import the cashgame hands. And one database will run entirely from the SSD the other from the HDD.

Since this can be annoying, alternatively just install everything to the HDD and only use one database.

In HM1 there are a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, many of which are yet to come. If you don't want the space in your Roaming folder due to C: file space or something like that, we do give you the option of storing this data anywhere

1 million hands =
    HM1: 6.8 GB
    HM2: 4.3 GB
    PT4: 13.6 GB

So with 40 million hands: = 172 GB + 60 GB for Windows --> even with a 240 GB database you'll quickly run out of diskspace.
    So it might be better -instead of the dual database / using two PostgreSQL installations- to just install everything on the (1 TB) HDD.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

thanx for the reply. ill probably install everything on HDD. OR is it possible to do this: first i change the register back so that postgresql/data will be on C again, and also keep the holdemmanager/database on C and then import just tourney hands and when i decide to also play cash i make a backup and then restore the DB on HDD and then import cash hands. That would work, right?
    Last edited by MassaTheChamp; 01-25-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Theoretically that would work:
    changing the registry and the location of the PostgreSQL data folder.
    Then restoring the backup of the cashgame database to the HDD.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here