Shared database.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shared database.

I followed FAQ #154 -How to setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers.
    I set up portable HDD to share database between my desk top and laptop.

But in FAQ #154 C) Installing Postgres On The Laptop PC
    I didn't do this bit "The only difference is when you see the following screen please untick "Initialise Database Cluster" as you already have the database info in that folder."

It seems to be working ok, does it matter that i didn't untick box?

Quote Originally Posted by Lusset View Post
    I followed FAQ #154 -How to setup Holdem Manager to share one database between two computers.
    I set up portable HDD to share database between my desk top and laptop.

But in FAQ #154 C) Installing Postgres On The Laptop PC
    I didn't do this bit "The only difference is when you see the following screen please untick "Initialise Database Cluster" as you already have the database info in that folder."

It seems to be working ok, does it matter that i didn't untick box?
    That will create a new database, and should, in effect completely overwrite whatever data is already in the \data folder. Did you verify that when installing to the 2nd pc that you picked the proper drive letter/path for the \data on the external drive? If you didnt change that, all you did was install postgresql to C:\Program Files\postgresql and created the new/empty database in the default location of C:\Program Files\postgresql\8.3\data, instead of your {external drive letter}\program files\postgresql\8.3\data. This would be abetter alternative than having picked the external for the \data, and then initialized the cluster, as it would nuke your DB.

TBH I'm not sure how I set it all up.

I think I installed postgres to laptop and made the external the default database location.
    I already had postgres on desktop so I changed registry to use external.

Is the DB accurate/complete on both PCs? Or does one of them have noticeably fewer Players (xx,xxx)? If it appears to be the same on both PCs, and both are importing properly, you should be OK.

It's accurate on both PC's.

I'm going to get an esata portable HDD because the usb is too slow.
    Could I just copy DB onto it then change DB location in the registery for both PCs?

Will esata speed up the imports over usb?
    I'm getting 10h/s and that's with i7 cpu.
    I should probably get solid state but they're a bit too expensive. (I couldn't use my poker winnings to get one because I have none. lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Lusset View Post
    It's accurate on both PC's.

I'm going to get an esata portable HDD because the usb is too slow.
    Could I just copy DB onto it then change DB location in the registery for both PCs?
    I am not the person to ask about registry issues/tweaks. netsrak may be able to offer some advice.

Will esata speed up the imports over usb?
    I'm getting 10h/s and that's with i7 cpu.
    I should probably get solid state but they're a bit too expensive. (I couldn't use my poker winnings to get one because I have none. lol)
    Yes it should. In theory usb 2.0 is 400 MB/s IIRC. eSATA is 3.0 GB/s. I have an esata mybook, but I could never get my self installed esata cardworking right. My new Ci7 920 which willbe here today or tomorrow, has eSATA.

I've got my DB running on my esata HD and I'm still only getting import speeds of 10 hands/s

As I said I've got i7 CPU.
    I've defragged my HDs and vacuumed DB, updated to latest version of Holdem Manager and turned off log files.

10 hands a second seems a bit slow?

I have never tried using my DB on an external. I have an eSATA external, but I have not been able to get the esata to connect properly. FWIW - I have a Ci7 and my DB is on it's own internal partition of my OEM HD and I get ~100 h/s. If I get some time I will try and move my DB to the external and test on USB 2.0, Firewire 800, and eSATA if I can get it working.

My speeds with DB on C: are similar to my ones on external.

That's a Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer.

How big is the DB in GB and total hands? How much of that is in the \pg_log directory? Have you done any DB tuning?

Do you vacuum, reindex, stop sql, and defrag occasionally?

Have you tried making a new DB and importing some archives or exported hands as a test?

DB's will get progressively slower for bulk import speeds as they grow, but this shouldnt really affect the auto import and live playing performance if you do some regular maintenance.

Have you considered adding a second, internal hard drive for a dedicated DB drive?