HM1 external DB on UNIX/LINUX ?

Default HM1 external DB on UNIX/LINUX ?

Hello,
    I use hm on 2 pc, at home and on my laptop, so i need to set up external db and access it from boths pc. I have one dedicated server with vmware with 100mbit/s connection and so on.
    1. As i understand HM uses PostgreSQL, there is specific requirements on version ? I see it uses version 8.2, but PostgreSQL.org allows to download from 8.2 - 9.1 versions, will HM1 work with newer db or it should be only on 8.2 ???
    2. Are there some specific PostgreSQL configuration ?? Or i can just download, install and create new db and HM1 will work ?
    3. I see that PostgreSQL have various OS support, i am thinking about FreeBSD or some Linux distribution, anyone have successfully installed ? Any tips?
    4. What ram/cpu/disk size/disk iops i will need? I think unix/linux will use small amount of resources, PostgreSQL usage depends on db size and active connections, at beginning i will have small db and at same time will be one connection. It could be 2GB/ram, 2xcpu cores, 30GB disk space, pretty fast sas disks with appropriate controllers.
    5. Both computers will synchronize automatically with this db server ?

Thanks for any info.
    BR,
    aamens.

1. Default version we use is 8.4.
    But it will also work with 8.2/8.3/9.0/9.1.
    Just make sure you use an installer from PostgreSQL: Welcome that allows you to setup the external db during the installation.

2. You shouldn't install SQL using our "combo installer" that will install everything set to default. Read:
    http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questio...o+computers%3F (images on the FAQ page don't work)

3. I have no experience with this.

4. High IOPS will be useful if you're running reimports, queries, importing a lot of hands, etc.

5. Both computers will somewhat synchronize automatically with this shared db setup: you can't have both computers write to the database at the same time. And when playing tournaments on PokerStars, you can't switch computers in the middle of a tourney. (due to the tournament summaries) But if you play a session on PC1---> after the session close HoldemManager---> then start HoldemManager on PC2, for cashgame hands it should see all the hands you just played on PC1, accessing the remote database on PC2.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here