loading players hands

Default loading players hands

I can see the rationale for having your hands in memory rather than having to use the hard disc all the time , but does this lead to a page file conflict so that instead of accessing the hard hard disc for hands , the computer is thrashing the hell out of the hard disc swapping memmory in and out of the page file.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to just load the peoples hands into memory (if not already loaded) that you are playing against as they join the table,and free that memory up as they leave your tables.Should lead to an optimum performance where only data that is needed is fetched and the system is not slowed down by page file issues.

I passed your question along to the developers.

Holdem Manager

Regarding the first point, each hand uses about 500-600 bytes and has an extremely deep level of detail so at 1 million hands you are looking at about 550MB + whatever HM2 uses on its own. There shouldn't be any offloading to disk and the advantages are many - some of which we haven't released yet. It comes down to being able to do things that would otherwise be impossible and doing them quickly. There are some performance issues we are still working on in HM2 but they are external to this hand caching.

For opponents, we do run through all of their hands once we see them at a table but we don't keep the hands. Instead we process every single stat for every player and just keep the results broken down by any filters that are needed. As new hands are played we increment the results for the player and if they join a new table we use the existing results.

Let me know if this answers your question

Thanks,
    Roy

hey Roy,

is it possible to change that all played hands from hero must be loaded at startup?
    for analysing, reports it is good but if I want to play quick it takes so much time to get all hero´s hands loaded if you have a large DB and a mid/low class pc. would be good to have a quickstart setup - load last 50k hands at startup - and later the rest or if needed. and it is even worse when HM2 crashes while playing and need to be reloaded.

Former HM Support DogNamedBluff's Avatar

We are working on ways to speed up the load time and limit RAM usage for people who have lots of hands. If you ever crash, please attach and send us the log file.

Where is my log file?

Vista & Windows 7: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager\

Showing hidden files: How to show hidden files in Windows 7

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\HoldemManager

Showing hidden files: Microsoft Corporation

Thank you.

Holdem Manager

Hi, we are looking at this to try and strike a better balance between RAM/Load Times and Performance for people with lots of hands. It is a fairly substantial change so can't promise anything quickly but the process has begun

Roy

nice to hear that ... I am looking forward