PostgreSQL 8.4 FINAL release (8.4.0-1)
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Default PostgreSQL 8.4 FINAL release (8.4.0-1)

PostgreSQL 8.4 FINAL is released after 3 months of the first 8.4 beta. 8.4 is supposed to be faster and has a HUGE list of updates.

If you are running HEM with PostgreSQL 8.3 and there are no problems stick to 8.3!
    Only on special dual server XEON computers (with 32 cores), were they able to see a big improvement with 8.4. Having said that, HEM will change some of their program code in the future to be able to use some of the improvements of 8.4.

First always, please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

Vista/7: Turn off UAC - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afm....aspx?faqid=73

Turn off Windows Firewall for installing HM and PostgreSQL. Once you get those installed you can add exceptions to the firewall. If you have a 3rd party firewall, uninstall it completely before installing HM/SQL - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afm...aspx?faqid=171 or manually set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select "Run as admin" from the popup menu.

If you want to install/upgrade to 8.4, it seems 8.4 has several installation problems.
    -Some users can't get past the "insert password" since it sometimes doesn't accept your normal (postgrespass) password. To RESET your password for reinstalling SQL to a new/empty DB, please follow these steps:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
    2) manually delete or rename the Program Files\Postgresql folders
    3) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator
    PHP Code:
    net user postgres /delete 
    4) reboot.
    5) Install PostgreSQL 8.4, with your firewall uninstalled or turned off if windows firewall - http://www.enterprisedb.com/products...oad.do#windows

----
    Also be carefull with the Tuning Wizard. On some systems it will make changes to the postgresql.conf it shouldn't, resulting in being unable to connect to the database.
    If you experience this problem--> go to the 8.4/data folder, and delete postgresql.conf, and rename the backup postgresql.conf.2009(data xxxxxxxx) to "postgresql.conf" and reboot.

Windows VISTA/7 users: Sometimes you can get a "secondary logon" not found error during the installation. To fix this, rightclick my computer---> Manage--->Services and Applications---> Services---> find Secondary Logon (and start service)

--

Thanks to squalzen & luckylucky for a step by step backup & upgrade guide:

1. Do a backup of your HM databases
      1. Postgres
        Open PGAdminIII – Found in Start ->Programs->PostgreSQL8.3.
        Right click on PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3(localhost:5432) and click Connect. Enter your password.
        Select your database(s), right click and backup each one you want to keep.
      2. HoldemManager
        Export all your hands from HM, as they could be needed as you will see in step 5 later. You can do this by either running DBControlPanel.exe located in your holdemmanager folder or via holdemmanager itself under Options ->Database Management.
        Click connect to your old database.
        Once in the Database Control Panel – Click Export Hands for each database that you want.
    2. Stop the PostgreSQL services (8.3)
      Found in Start ->Programs->PostgreSQL8.3. -> stop service
    3. Download and run the latest 8.4 installer
      Latest installer found at http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
      Install the exe (for Vista users might be best to right click on the exe and run as administrator)
      Enter your postgres password for both Password and Retype Password textboxes. Click Next.
      Enter 5432 for Port. Click Next.
      Leave Locale as (Default locale)
      Leave Install pl/pgsql in template1 database checked.
      Click next. Wait a few minutes.
      Uncheck Launch Stack builder at exit. Click Finish.
    4. Open Database Management from HoldEmManager or run DBControlPanel.exe from your HoldemManager directory.
      Don’t worry if you receive “The following error occurred when trying to open the database Fatal……………..”. just click OK and connect to Database Control Panel. Create a new database (name does not have to be same as the back up databases) and set as default. Click "Start HoldemManager". Close HoldemManager.
    5. Open PGAdminIII (make sure you do this via Start ->Programs->PostgreSQL8.4(preferably not 8.3, not sure if it makes any real difference though) and connect to the 8.4 server.
      Select the database you just created.
    6. Restore the database(s) that you backed up earlier into their new counterparts.
      Click on the database, Right click and Click Restore and browse to the file where you backed up your database. On restore Database window, keep the defaults as they are and simply select OK. Wait for restore to complete (can take quite a long while) If window has (Not responding on it) you can ignore this, it’s just an intensive task that takes a long time.
    7. Test
      Open HoldemManager when the restore is finished and check if all the players, hands, reports, etc. are restored.
    8. Uninstall old version
      If all is Ok uninstall postgreSQL 8.3 (in Vista from Control Panel -> Programs and Features.)
    9. Reboot

----

Still Can't Connect to PosgreSQL? Try This!

Tips and tricks to solve other problems can be found in this thread.
    Post in this thread if you have problems or additional questions.
    Last edited by Patvs; 11-12-2009 at 07:31 PM.

+1

Just installed PostgreSQL Version 8.4.0-1, HEM 1.09 beta 11a on Microsoft Windows 7 Build 7260 RTM X86 (with secondary logon activated).

Got this error:

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by rckyu; 07-02-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rckyu View Post
    Just installed PostgreSQL Version 8.4.0-1, HEM 1.09 beta 11a on Microsoft Windows 7 Build 7260 RTM X86.

Got this error:

Same thing for me. The only thing working for me is to install postgresql with the pginstaller 8.4 beta2. It's the last one i found, apparently the last release 8.4 only exists in one click installer which doesn't ask for chose encoding SQL_ASCII, that's why it doesn't work I guess. I also tried to change encoding of postgre database in pgadmin but I didn't find out how to do that.
    Last edited by Dadishome; 07-02-2009 at 07:55 AM.

did you try dbpass ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dadishome View Post
    Same thing for me. The only thing working for me is to install postgresql with the pginstaller 8.4 beta2. It's the last one i found, apparently the last release 8.4 only exists in one click installer which doesn't ask for chose encoding SQL_ASCII, that's why it doesn't work I guess. I also tried to change encoding of postgre database in pgadmin but I didn't find out how to do that.
    Has anyone solved this yet?

When I start the

postgresql-8.4.0-1-windows.exe

i get an errormessage:

"An error occured executing the Microsoft VC++ runtime installer."

and the installation is canceled.

Any idea?

for sql__ASCII error you must install with this file http://ftp.ua.postgresql.org/pub/mir...-8.4-beta2.zip

for wrong password : before installation you must write "net user postgres /delete" in windows command.

take care you must backup your DB before install new version for safe.

Hey,

are there any performance benchmarks out there?
    It would be great to see a comparison between 8.2, 8.3 and 8.4.

I'm currently running 8.2 on my laptop and 8.3 on my desktop and would like to know if upgrading is worth the trouble.

Found this on the web here... (he also has 8.4. benchmarks on his site)

("tuned" is increasing # shared_buffers=1536MB, # wal_buffers=1024kB, # effective_cache_size=3084MB, etc.... and he uses an 8 core system)

I found other 8.4. benchmarks too, which stated 8.4. is as fast as 8.3. and only a LOT faster if you have more than 16 (!) CPU CORES.
    (there was no noticable improvement increase with 8 cores! since all of us will have 1-4 cores, I 'm not sure we'll notice any improvements)
    Last edited by Patvs; 07-03-2009 at 10:21 PM.