Top 10: HEM performance increase tips - Page 51
Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

(fast) SSD has a speed of 500 MB/s.
    DDR3 has a maximum speed of 6400 MB/s. Though when you install a program to RAM, or the PostgreSQL database, it can't actually utilize this speed.

Using a benchmark program such as CrystalDiskMark, you can get speeds up to 1000 MB/s with the RAMdrive. But these are just hypothetical speeds.... it can't actually convert this into faster imports/reports.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

If 2 or more sata6 ssd are put in a raid0 arry on a motherbaord the can pass trim in raid, would that be faster than a ramdrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post

Advanced Users: You are allowed to use 9.0/9.1 (64 bit).
    If you experience this problem--> simply go to the 8.4/data folder, undo the changes you made and reboot.
    Recommended changes:
    shared_buffers = <number> MB (set it to 20% of your system's memory, but not higher than 512 MB)
    effective_cache_size = <number> MB (set this to 4x the size of the shared_buffers)

Change at your own risk: (change them back to default if postgresql stops running, or your performance decreases)
    wal_buffers = 8MB
    temp_buffers = 24MB #(wal_buffers x3)
    work_mem = 128MB
    maintenance_work_mem = 512MB
    commit_delay = 10000
    checkpoint_segments = 128
    checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9

Is this information is actuall for 9.0 postgre?

See I have 64-bit windows + 64-bit postgre, may I put for ex. shared_buffers=1536Mb, having 8gb RAM? I mean if no, and 512 is max, why do I need to
    Get lots of RAM
    I'm buying new pc monday. Do I need 16gb RAM instead of 8gb? Will Hm2 work faster? And what optimal settings for those postgresql.conf file for 8/16 gb RAM?

Also, Patvs, what do u think about such build.
    Im gonna use 2xmonitors 2560x1440 with it
    Intel : Xeon E3-1230v2
    Deepcool : THETA 31 PWM
    ASRock : B75 Pro3
    DDR3 16G PC-12800 Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
    ASUS : PCI-E 1Gb HD7770-1GD5
    OCZ : 128G SATA3 SSD VTX4-25SAT3-128G
    Seagate : 1000GB ST1000DM003 SATA III
    Zalman : Z9 U3
    Zalman : ZM500-GS

Quote Originally Posted by SacredD View Post

See I have 64-bit windows + 64-bit postgre, may I put for ex. shared_buffers=1536Mb, having 8gb RAM? I mean if no, and 512 is max, why do I need to
    yes for all versions also 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 I would recommend to not use more than 512MB shared buffer and 2048MB effective cache size

all tests that I have made with more decreased performances

I am talking about HEM import speed / notecaddy / maintenance
    but I don't think that other settings would be different for the global HEM Performance (HUD, Reports)

if someone has other experience pls post it

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy71 View Post
    HM2 caches certain information in order to optimize search results and report load times. The amount of caching (and thus the amount of RAM used) for an individual user is, in part, dependent on the RAM available and how much RAM is required for other applications you are running. Thus HM2 intelligently uses RAM based on a balancing act between how much you have and how much you are using elsewhere. If someone has a significant amount of RAM available, HM2 will cache more in order to further improve your response times to queries and report loading.

HM2 load time is slower than HM1 and our competitors because we cache hands into memory on startup to take advantage of your PC resources. This allows us to populate reports and run filters way faster than HM1 or our competitors. This extra time at start up saves you a lot more time when you start refreshing/changing reports and running filters to review your play.

See the following page for a comparison of HM2 v HM1 v PT4 on 3 different machines with 3 different sample sizes and you can see why this slower start up time that is done once per session or once per day will save you tons of time once you start reviewing your data - HM2 Performance Comparison on v7679 With Ram Reduction vs PT4 and HM1

Regarding maintenance: You should run PGAdmin maintenance regularly. I would suggest at least once a month (or more if you play a lot of hands and/or use NoteCaddy), and any time you do a large import - http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/ques...lyze+Database+
    What about datamined hands do they get into memory. HM2 is much slower than PT4 in live play with the same size database for me.

On the link it seems to say that HEM2 uses less cpu in live play than PT4 but thats not what happens on my system. Aslo for live play it's how fast the hud updates in Zoom that matters. PT4 is much fastrer at this.
    Last edited by andy2001; 02-01-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy2001 View Post
    If 2 or more sata6 ssd are put in a raid0 arry on a motherbaord the can pass trim in raid, would that be faster than a ramdrive?

Yes, any fast SSD setup will be as fast as a ramdrive.
    The ramdrive only has hypothetical faster speeds. In addition you'll need a system, where the ramdrive is flushed back to the normal harddisk before you turn off the computer, or you'll lose all data. Therefore it's not recommended using a ramdrive.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Quote Originally Posted by SacredD View Post

I'm buying new pc monday. Do I need 16gb RAM instead of 8gb? Will Hm2 work faster? And what optimal settings for those postgresql.conf file for 8/16 gb RAM?

Also, Patvs, what do u think about such build.
    Im gonna use 2xmonitors 2560x1440 with it
    Intel : Xeon E3-1230v2
    Deepcool : THETA 31 PWM
    ASRock : B75 Pro3
    DDR3 16G PC-12800 Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10
    ASUS : PCI-E 1Gb HD7770-1GD5
    OCZ : 128G SATA3 SSD VTX4-25SAT3-128G
    Seagate : 1000GB ST1000DM003 SATA III
    Zalman : Z9 U3
    Zalman : ZM500-GS

We actually do not recommend using PostgreSQL 9.1 (I edited the opening post just now).
    But all the other info is still valid for 9.0 and 9.2.

You are allowed to increase the shared buffer size, but in a lot of tests both HoldemManager and PokerTracker users have shown there is no performance increase with higher values. (in fact the opposite can occur where the PostgreSQL service stops running, or a performance decrease)

8 GB RAM is enough for most users. (depending on the size of your database)
    (<1 million hands database)

Though DDR3 RAM currently is really cheap. So with a Xeon CPU it's recommended to just go with 16 GB.

How much memory would be ideal for a database of more like 10 to 20million hands.

We actually do not recommend using PostgreSQL 9.1 (I edited the opening post just now).
    But all the other info is still valid for 9.0 and 9.2.
    I have 9.1, what is wrong with it?
    Also if I back-up the database in pgadmin, can I restore it in 9.2 and keep everything from NC?