Top 10: HEM performance increase tips - Page 14
Page 14 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

You should consider to upgrade the laptop with a SSD harddisk. For your SQL performance

But that will considerably increase the cost.
    A 80 GB SSD will cost $200.

And a 80 GB will be rather small for Windows + SQL. (StarCraft II already is 8 GB)

Videocard speed is another issue. SCII doesn't have very high system requirements, but running it at HIGH DETAIL settings will require a videocard, budget laptops just don't offer.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Default Making a major change.....SEEKING ADVICE....thx

Hello, I have recently decided to make a switch from PT to HEM. I have used PT for years, but after giving HEM a fair trial, I firmly believe that it is a superior product.
    My old PT dbase is 30+ mil hands and has been bogging down....but I have vowed to keep my new HEM dbases to no more than 5 or 6 mil hands.

I have a question regarding adding a SSD to my setup, but first I will provide you with some background info.....
    My current computer system contains an AMD Phenom II X4 945 which is overclocked to about 3.4ghz....i am running the 64 bit Vista OS....HD = Samsung, which is similar to a Western Digital Black, it has 500GB, 7200 rpm, and 32 mb cache.....RAM = 8gb DDR 3 running at a very low latency of 7/7/21....with an overclock on the hyper-transport to optimal levels.
    NOW for the question,
    I am considering adding the following:

A-DATA S599 AS599S-128GM-C 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD):
    2.5" 128GB SATA II Sequential Access - Read: up to 280MB/s
    Sequential Access - Write: up to 270MB/s
    Features: TRIM command support RAID support 4K write (Aligned): 50,000 IOPS
    Parts: 3 years limited
    Model #: AS599S-128GM-C

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS PRODUCT AS AN ADDITION? IS THERE ANYTHING SIGNIFICANTLY SUPERIOR? My IT friend compared it with the OCZ Vertex 2 and said that it was equally as good if not better and at a lower price. I ASSUMED THAT THE 128GB WOULD BE ENOUGH....AM I MOST LIKELY CORRECT?

I will also make the proper tweaks as outlined by the OP in steps 3 through 11, immediately following the SSD addition.

Finally, many thanks to all who have contributed to this fantastic thread and particularly the OP.

Thank you to any respondant (hopefully support) for taking the time to read and help.....it is appreciated.

128 GB for... Windows + 10 millions hands is enough.
    Especially if you import the hands.. and then purge most of them (only keeping the stats)

Windows + a 3 million purged hands database is only 30 GB.
    Two best SSDs are the 160 GB Intel X25-M G2 Postville, 120 GB OCZ Vertex 2. (I currently use 2x OCZ Vertex in RAID-0, the old Vertex model)

I'm unfamiliar with the A-DATA.
    I googled some benchmarks for it.

It seems the results are really good.
    But definately not as fast as the (more expensive) Vertex 2.
    (I'm only really interested in the 4K read speeds)

Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

Default Having a problem now that I have installed SSD

Now that I installed a SSD, I took the HEM setup file and moved it to my SSD drive, which of course is now my main drive since the OS is now on it. I also have the OS on my other drive.....don't know if that will be a problem? Any ideas? Anyway, once I fired up the HEM setup program and installed a new postgres, I then executed the HEM program. Unfortunately, it would not take my registration. I then went in and tried unsuccessfully to deactivate both of my licenses....the button "RESET ALL PROFILES" shows up as a dead link. Also, when I go to the beta page for deactivating a license, it will not accept my user login???
    I would really appreciate any help that you could provide me regarding both the general process of switching over programs to the SSD and what the cleanest way to do that would be, and also the HEM switch from my old spinning HD to the new SSD.
    Also, I am assuming that I should install my Internet Security software on the new SSD as well, since that is where the OS is located......any tips?
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Please go to Registration Home Page and signup with a new login name and password and then you can quickly add your serial code and reset it whenever you need to.

post the reg.log file if you still get an error when activation the license

I cannot even get into log into the registration home page. I have used both my HEM login info as well as my HEM forum login info. Also, if I go to register and create a new account, it says that my e-mail address is already in use.
    Please advise.

PS: I am using the correct info, because I can log into both my HEM account and obviously I am currently logged into the forum.

Default Tried to have new password sent....no luck

Quote Originally Posted by Patvs View Post
    Please go to Registration Home Page and signup with a new login name and password and then you can quickly add your serial code and reset it whenever you need to.

post the reg.log file if you still get an error when activation the license
    I also tried to have a new password sent to my e-mail, by using both my HEM username and my forum username. The system rejected both names.

Try creating a new account using a different email address

The registration system is no longer needed, please login to our homepage (Hold'Em Manager Poker Tracking and Analysis Software) or create a new account there and manage your keys there.

Quote Originally Posted by netsrak View Post
    The registration system is no longer needed, please login to our homepage (Hold'Em Manager Poker Tracking and Analysis Software) or create a new account there and manage your keys there.
    OK....I am officially getting frustrated.

I have tried doing this multiple times and I just tried again. The "Reset All Profiles" button always is a dead link. I checked by right clicking it and there is not an option to "open link". Also, when I hit the question mark it says that I have one open license, but when I go to activate HEM I get an error message, and under details it says "No more activations allowed. You must first deactivate the software from the original machine before attempting to activate again."

I am at this moment asking you and HEM to make this problem go away by whatever means necessary. This is starting to become a real problem and is becoming costly.

Thank you for your help. Please reach me directly by e-mail if necessary.