Top 10: HEM performance increase tips - Page 11
Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

HM has no improvements in a 64 bit environment.
    But... they are trying to add more 64 bit specific code with every BIG update.
    So it might have in future updates.

Stars.. I don't know. I use Stars in native W7 x64 (and in XP x32 before that) and never had any problems with Stars.
    Participate in the Beta release of the newest Hold'em Manager version: HM Cloud. Sign-up HERE.

If you would like to leave some feedback to help us improve the quality of the solutions, and/or the support quality you received, - you can do this here

HM being a 32 bit application doesn't gain from running under 64 bit OS. so are Postgre and poker clients. but w7 64 is a cool OS, so why not use it? )

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys!

Also I guess from my Linux background I just assumed there was a 64 bit PostGreSQL build for Windows 7, but I see there is not (not yet anyway). (interesting reasoning on why maybe 32 bit version better anyway here: PostgreSQL vs 64-bit windows - Magnus Hagander's PostgreSQL blog)

Hello,

I would like to buy a new laptop only for poker.
    Could you help me to choose the right one.

I would like to buy a laptop with minimum 17" display.

Now there are two laptops I am thinking about.

First:
    HP-Compaq Pavilion dv7-3050ec
    Intel Core i7 (720QM (6 MB L3 cache, DDR3 1333 MHz, 45 W) 1.60 GHz
    4GB DDR3 1333MHz
    500GB SATA 2.5" / 7200RPM

Second:
    HP-Compaq Pavilion dv7-2260ef
    Intel Core 2 Duo (P7450 (3MB L2 cache/ 1066MHz FSB) 2.13GHz )
    4096 MB (DDR3 1333MHz)
    2x 500GB SATA 2.5" / 7200RPM ProtectSmart

I read your HW recommendation here in the first post, and you spoke about the most important is the fast harddisk. So I should choose the 2260ef because of the two separate disk (it is not RAID, only two separate disk) or the 3050ec is better because the stronger CPU?

Yes, I know the SSD is the best choose, but it is very expensive.
    Anyway, when I play poker on 4-6 tables, and use HM HUD with a very big database (datamined hands), how will be significant the harddisks tasks? I mean the harddisk is important when I import 10 million hands into HM DB, but when I play poker, only use few records from database in the RAM (very rare HD use).

I am not an expert (I think you can guess ), please tell me more about the hardisk, RAM, CPU.

Definitely do not buy the Core 2 Duo, it is dead technology. Have you considere AMD btw? I just upgraded my rig to an AMD quad core Phenom II 965 (it's a homebuilt desktop though) and now I can play as many tables I want to! I am just using two WD Black SATA drives, nothing too special except that I host my virtual machine on its own drive.

Also I suggest you get more RAM if you're going to run Windows Vista or 7. Like 6 GB or 8.

Finally, you can always just use an external eSata or FireWire drive, right, no matter which model you choose? I do think keeping database on its own hard drive is one of the best things you can do. (I keep my whole database server on separate machine in fact - but with quad core computing you are almost getting same effect by hosting locally and with dedicated drive.) To be honest unless you're running a virtual machine on the drive or doing anything else while playing, you might be fine with one drive to start.

Oh and make sure the graphics adapter is semi-decent, if only for the reason that you might want to connect a high res monitor later on. (and secondly because I believe that having a decent card still helps with Windows redraw performance - i.e., not having a card that ONLY uses main RAM for video memory is not good)

Default dual core not used?

my system is quite slow with the HEM database. so i thought about buying an external SSD for the databease. but now i discovered that my dual core processor seems to not beeing used properly.
    this is the chart while refreshing the graph for my 225k hands i have played and while processor 1 is used by nearly 100%, processor 2 is almost idle.
    is there a way to improve that? and would an ssd improve my performance altough the reas for the slowlyness seems to be the processor? its a intel core2 duo with 2GH?

afaik, hm import uses only one core, so the faster it is, the better. actually i don't know why guys can't add multythread support (i'd like to know the answer from them). though i guess, adding an ssd is a good idea. but not external cuz it's speed will be cut by the speed of interface it's connected to a pc. though eSATA will be ok, maybe. usb3 gives only 90mb/s

you can also try to overclock your CPU if it's not a laptop one. an adding some RAM will be a good choice too )

Separate drive will help a lot, whether SSD or not. Also I think maybe you should try to set the mysql server daemon to run on processor 2, that way it won't use up any of processor 1? I forget how to do this but seem to remember that is a possibility.

well i have a laptop and i cannot upgrade more RAM. its already the maximum.

and for the SSD the OP says:
    "The SSD not only wins on Sequential Read/Write speeds (of big files), they win the most with access time, 4K Read/Write speeds (small files) and just "overall" I/O operations per second."

doesn't that mean that the the usb limit of 90MB/s is not the important thing but the number of I/O operations? or did i get that wrong?

Yes but USB is slow at access as well as transfer. You can get an eSATA PCMCIA or ExpressCard controller though for your laptop!

TO be honest, I think just try setting the processor two to serve PostgreSQL's daemon, and try just using a separate drive just for the database - unless money is no object, then by all means, go SSD! (but please connect via eSATA, not via USB )