Keeping the database as small as possible

Default Keeping the database as small as possible

Hello!

The other day I was thinking of ways of how to improve the hand history import speed and one thing came to my mind.

Let's say you start with a fresh database. You have over 3 million exported HH's. While the easiest way to get this done would be just simply to import the whole chunk of hands and live with it, doing this makes the DB huge and the importing speeds drops down dramatically.

So what if, instead of keeping the 3kk HH's (I have bought/dl'ed them from various sources. My alias has only about 30k hands at the moment cause I've started fresh in another room), I would import them and then purge them. As far as I know purge only removes the hands, but keeps the player stats (I don't really care about having the actual hands, all I care is the correct player stats showing up at the tables). This would allow me to keep the database small (since we don't have the actual hands) and have track of all the players.

Is this actually possible? Will the database be smaller after I purge the hands? Will this preserve my importing speed (On a fresh DB I get up to 200h/s and once it hits somewhere around a 1kk hands the import speed drops to like 30-50h/s)?
    Will the villain stats be updated as I play more hands with him (Let's say I'm at the table with a player who I have played 100 hands with. During the session we played another 100 hands. The question is, will HEM update the stats to 200 hands or will it not since I've purged his previous hands?)?

Tell me what you guys think of this. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Hi,
    You can purge all hands that you were not a part of and still keep your stats for everyone.

See this FAQ for information on how to do that. http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/197/Purge+Hands

Thanks for your reply!

Will purging the hands make the DB smaller?
    And will the stats update as I play more hands with my opponents?

I understand that everything will be as it was before purging the hands, right?

EDIT:
    It says in HEM, that "The hands will no longer be included in report results, however will still appear in HUD stats for the time being until the Cache Rebuilder is complete."

Does it mean, that after the cache is rebuilt, the stats from the purged hands will be gone?
    Last edited by GiedriusZ; 08-07-2011 at 02:35 AM.

Yes for your first 2 questions.

We have no Cache rebuilder - so the stats from the purged hands will never be gone.

Excellent!

Thank you for the help!