Connect to an exixting database
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Connect to an exixting database

I have a local network with 2 computers on it.

In my #1 pc I have created a hem2 database importing all my hand histories.

I usually access #1pc db on my #2 pc over the local network, but the problem is that when i enter the database window in #2pc the only options are ADD NEW and DELETE, so there is no way to connect to an existing database that is stored in a different pc.

I dont want to sync both pcs with a cloud servers because i dont want to store anything on my secondary pc, i only iwant to have the db on my primary computer.

Is there any way to connect to an existing hem2 database.

lozano

Ill check with the developers on this
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by morny View Post
    Ill check with the developers on this
    Ok, I think it must be easy to implement, in fact ive been looking if any of the config files contains the information of the "current databases" to change it manually, but I havent found it.

Its not only a feature that concerns my case (a local network, the problem is that my secondary pc is a netbook that does not have too much empty space, so i dont want to create a big database there), but can be a problem, for example, if i make manually a dump of the full database using postgresql command line, and then restore it in a second pc.

Its imposible for hem2 in the second pc to "connect" to this database created using a restore (postgresql command) and that is phisically on localhost, and this is a problem imho.

lozano
    Last edited by jelozano; 08-01-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Yeah already have a bug for it #1768 but i dont have an estimate of when it will be implemented yet
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We welcome any feedback on any solutions we provide, this helps us to provide better quality solutions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by morny View Post
    Yeah already have a bug for it #1768 but i dont have an estimate of when it will be implemented yet
    ok, at least now i know it is scheduled... anywhere anytime...

As a temporary solution, can you confirm that the "current databases" list isnt stored in any configuration files to edit by myself as a workaround?

lozano

Quote Originally Posted by jelozano View Post
    ok, at least now i know it is scheduled... anywhere anytime...

As a temporary solution, can you confirm that the "current databases" list isnt stored in any configuration files to edit by myself as a workaround?

lozano
    Have you tried clicking "Add New" on the #2 PC and entering the IP address of #1 PC as the database server? The only issue I can see with this is where the Database parent folder on the #2 PC should be stored i.e. should it point to the same folder on the #1 PC?

I would be interested to see if this works for you and to get some confirmation from the developers on whether this should work.

Quote Originally Posted by navi View Post
    Have you tried clicking "Add New" on the #2 PC and entering the IP address of #1 PC as the database server? The only issue I can see with this is where the Database parent folder on the #2 PC should be stored i.e. should it point to the same folder on the #1 PC?

I would be interested to see if this works for you and to get some confirmation from the developers on whether this should work.
    Yes, I've tried. I use the button "Test connection" using #1pc local IP, with my username/password (not default) and get a success message. In theory I can create a new database on #1pc this way (always from my #2pc), but obviously if I specify the name of the database I want to use it says something like "database already exists".

Also the "database parent folder" is something not valid, of course, when connecting to a remote database in another system, of course, I dont know exactly how to deal with that field in the form...

In summary, a new buton is needed "Connect to an existing database" ---- to check the connection, to list the hem2 databases in the postgresql server, and to connect to one of those.

lozano

Quote Originally Posted by jelozano View Post
    Yes, I've tried. I use the button "Test connection" using #1pc local IP, with my username/password (not default) and get a success message. In theory I can create a new database on #1pc this way (always from my #2pc), but obviously if I specify the name of the database I want to use it says something like "database already exists".

Also the "database parent folder" is something not valid, of course, when connecting to a remote database in another system, of course, I dont know exactly how to deal with that field in the form...

In summary, a new buton is needed "Connect to an existing database" ---- to check the connection, to list the hem2 databases in the postgresql server, and to connect to one of those.

lozano
    Hopefully this issue will be fixed. It would stop me from upgrading to HM2 if I could not use it over my home network.

There is a manual way to solve this - you can copy the parent database folder from PC1 to PC2.
    When you now start HM2 you should have the option to connect to the existing database.
    I hope i remember this right, i went through it some weeks ago when i created the bug report for this missing functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by netsrak View Post
    There is a manual way to solve this - you can copy the parent database folder from PC1 to PC2.
    When you now start HM2 you should have the option to connect to the existing database.
    I hope i remember this right, i went through it some weeks ago when i created the bug report for this missing functionality.
    The problem is that I dont want to store the database on #2pc, because the hard disk has not enough empty space.

Where is the information of current databases stored? Does it take by default all hem2 databases on localhost or takes the configuration of some config file or the registry.

I think a temporary solution would be:

In #1pc configure as if it were local network (using IP 192.168.0.50 instead of 127.0.0.1 or localhost), import all handhistory, and then export the configfile or registry or whatever to #2pc.

lozano