best specs buying new PC to run NC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default best specs buying new PC to run NC

Time for me to buy a new PC...

I have several hundred custom NC definitions and badges with HM2 databse of considerably more than 1 million hands. Playing 6-8 tables of zoom/ rush.

What specs for a new PC would you recommend so that everything runs as fast and with as little lag as possible? Which operating system is best for NC/ HM2?

I want to get the best chance of everything running smoothly, thanks for helping.

I would go for:

Intel I5 3570k Quad Core (I7 is imo overkill and the price is to high for the small benefit of more power)

8 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance (if you want make it 16 GB, but i think it's not necessary)

Samsung 830 series SSD (take 2, one for the database, one for Win and programs)

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard

This setup will suite you for sure. For OS i would stick with Win 7 64 bit.
    Last edited by karstenkloss; 11-09-2012 at 04:45 PM.

No direction but to trust the final destination

I agree with everything except the i5 versus i7. NC general strength NoteCaddy General Strength - Assaultware Wiki uses a lot of cpu so the extra cores can definitely help. Also, i7 doesn't have to be that expensive. I already decommed one bought 3 years ago
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

From personal experience with HEM2 and NC I would suggest you get 16GB of RAM if you have any intentions on having a big (7mil+ hands) database. An SSD is a must (the new Samsung 840 pro looks the best but its new so the reliability might be an issue). Also, you will get away with an i5 if you overclock it - I have an overclocked i5 2500 from 3.3Ghz to 4.7Ghz and very seldom get 90%+ CPU load and that is only when HEM2+NC are working. In any case if you have a big database and you intend on getting many definitions dont go for less than 240GB SSD and optimize your postgresql as well. So..

1) SSD 240GB+ , 16GB RAM, i5 overclocked or i7
    2) Windows 7 64x

Let us know how it goes when you build the computer

Many thanks, my plan is now to go for

SSD - 240GB Intel 330 Series SSD
    16GB DDR3 RAM (2 x 8GB)
    Core i7 3770K four-cored Processor
    Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
    GeForce GT 620 1GB Video card
    Windows 7 HP 64bit OEM

One more question, going with a Core i7 3930K six-cored processor would add £350 to the price so I will probably go for the i7 3770K four-cored Processor. Reasonable?

Does this all sound ok?

What is the maximum number of threads notecaddy can use ?

What's the total price for your config now ? From 6 core to 4 core, I think you will go from 12 threads to 8 in NC. I don't know how much slower your notes will get processed with that.
    Last edited by pmania; 11-13-2012 at 09:22 AM.

IMHO get the best SSD there is and dont worry so much about CPU.. With 350 pounds you can get a bigger (480Gb or 512Gb) or add another SSD which will come in handy. To give you an idea in my system I have a 256GB SSD that has ONLY windows/HEM2 and database of 10mil hands with many NC definitions and I have only 40-60GB free at any given time. Keep in mind that you need to leave free space on the SSDs in order to perform the best and to not age as fast.

The 330 intel I think is not very fast (its not for enthusiasts users). Either the new plextor pro or even better the samsung 840 would be good to have.. A more trustworthy SSD (its very reliable) is the old 830 from Samsung which is still pretty fast and cheap! For me reliability is #1 so no OCZ (even the new Vertex 4 has some issues) or sandforce drives.. You dont want to have a random reboot/crash cause of the SSD and get you database corrupted..

The first priority is the SSD and then CPU/RAM from my experience - hell if I could build a system now I would go for an entreprise solution drive ($1K or more). If you intend to do any database searches/reports/analysis with HEM2 and particularly NC with a somewhat big database you will remember those words..

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    IMHO get the best SSD there is and dont worry so much about CPU..
    Thanks Azalin, I think I will go for the 480GB 520 Series Intel SSD as it seems to be a robust option for reliability and speed.

pmania, total price for the revised config is £1380 inc VAT

SSD 480GB 520 Series Intel SSD
    16GB DDR3 RAM (2 x 8GB)
    Core i7 3770K four-cored Processor
    Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
    GeForce GT 620 1GB Video card
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
    Seagate 7200rpm 1000GB HDD
    Windows 7 HP 64bit OEM
    24 x Samsung DVD-RW
    802.11N Wireless PCIe Adaptor
    600W Corsair Supply

No direction but to trust the final destination

I use 12 and I agree its way lower on the priority list than ssd. I am going to do a test with 12 then 8 and see what the difference is. My guess is 10 percent. I'll run it in the next day
    NoteCaddy Manual | Coaching Packs | Blog
    NoteCaddy experts: a.k.aAlso, Catalyst_Kh, Derders, karstenkloss, scoobediah (NoteCaddy Edge)

Quote Originally Posted by sreticentv View Post
    I am going to do a test with 12 then 8 and see what the difference is. My guess is 10 percent. I'll run it in the next day
    Thanks Sreti, any news on your test results?