PDA

View Full Version : Set-up help needed!

megs215
04-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I have the postgres software installed...but I can't get HEM to work!! I guess I don't know how to set the database up even though I read the other forums I've seen. I thought I did it correctly but it always tells me it fails to connect. What do I do!
I'm using Vista but I did the whole turning off the user account controls or whatever it's called. Any suggestions?!
Can someone help me set up the database?!
Please and thank you!!!
To be more specific, the error messages (when I try opening HEM) says "The following error occurred when trying to open the database: Unable to read data from the transport connect: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

Then the Postgres box comes up asking for the server name and all that jazz...but I already have the database set up. At least I think I do.
Please help!

So I click "OK" meganjustman@charter.net

morny
04-28-2009, 05:56 PM
You need to follow this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34 and you need to follow it exactly for it to work

megs215
04-28-2009, 09:09 PM
I tried everything on the FAQ you suggested, but still no luck. However, on the last step where it describes how to go into the services, mine said it was "started." Then, I stopped it and tried restarting it, but it said something about it not being able to connect. Any ideas what I'm still doing wrong?

morny
04-29-2009, 06:14 PM
The thing with that FAQ is if you dont follow it 100% then it wont work, if you skip a step or decide to just disable and firewall/antivirus instead of completely uninstalling them then it wont work

megs215
04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Okay. I use Charter security suite. So I have to completely uninstall it?!?!
I guess I didn't realize that, but that sounds dangerous. Can I get it back after I get postgreSQL working? So you're saying that if I disable and allow the necessary programs through, it still won't work? Yikes!

morny
04-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Its an issue caused by Vista/firewall/antivirus most often after an update, it causes this problem and the only way to solve it is to uninstall and reinstall. If you test it then reinstall and the problems returns it might be worth considering a different antivirus/firewall