PDA

View Full Version : Switching to HEM

newrat
04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Apologies if this is not the right place to be posting this, but currently at a loss and need some help. I used to use PT3, but am interested in trialling HEM. I had PT3 running fine, with postgreSQL. I have downloaded the HEM software, and after installing it trys to connect to postgreSQL and I am asked the following:

"Holdem Manager needs to know where to find the database. Please enter in the details below and click on connect"

Then it asks me for a bunch of details. I have checked some. I know the default port no. is right from checking PT3 settings. The login name is right. The login pw is definitely wrong, and I either a service password or a database password (both are different to the default given) - I have tried both, neither work. Not sure how to check what the server name is.

So after doing my best to enter correct details I hit connect. I then get an error message saying "A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made. Would you like to have Holdem Manager attempt to start the service?". I have a Yes or No choice.

I hit Yes...

"Sorry, Holdem Manger was unable to start the service"

I hit ok..

"Holdem Manger has started the service. Please try again."

Then I'm back at the start. The biggest problem here is that everyday that I do not diagnose this problem is a day lost in my 15 day trial. My trial should only really start once I am actually using the software...no? Either way, would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to sort this out...13 days and counting...

morny
04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Please attach the hosts file from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and then try to start the PostgreSQL service as shown in this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34 then after a while it will fail and give an error please copy and paste this error and then go to Control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Log > Application error and look near the top for an red error sign, click on this and view the details of the error and post it here aswell

newrat
04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for your reply. When I try to upload the hosts file (using the Manage Attachments button below) I am told that it is an invalid file.

I followed the steps in the FAQ you posted. All the apps were already running as administrator (the option was greyed out). PostgreSQl was already started, so I stopped and restarted. This worked fine and I got no error message. Not sure what I am supposed to do now?

morny
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Email the file to me morny@holdemmanager.net and also link to this thread