PDA

View Full Version : Sudden problem with PostgreSQL

Mogilny
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
I bought HEM quite a while ago and it worked perfectly for a few months but then all of a sudden it all went wrong. Now when I start HEM I get a error message saying "The following error occured when trying to open the database: Failed to establish a connection to 127.0.0.1. So I click ok which is the only option and another panel pops up. It says that I am using Vista and that I need to turn of UAC, which already is turned of. I click Ok again and the database control panel pops up. Everything seems to be in order there - server name: 127.0.0.1, port nr: 5432, login: postgres and password: postgrespass. I click connect and a panel tells me that a connection to postgreSQL could not be made. I try again but no luck.

So some information: I'm using Vista, the program has worked fine for quite som time before the problem occured, I have tried to start HEM with firewalls off, I have checked if the postsqlservice is running and it is, I have turned it off tried again, I have deleted postgresql and reinstalled it, I have updated HEM, I have restarted the computer several times since I have had this problem for over a month. I have also tried port nr 5433 and some other stuff which I don't remember.

Any ideas what to do?

morny
04-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Please attach the hosts file from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and then try to start the PostgreSQL service as shown in this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34 then after a while it will fail and give an error please copy and paste this error and then go to Control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Log > Application error and look near the top for an red error sign, click on this and view the details of the error and post it here aswell

Mogilny
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Hm, I'm sorry but I don't really follow. What am I supposed to attach the hosts-file to? And I don't get any error message so I can't find any application errors in the log.

morny
04-23-2009, 04:03 PM
When your replying to the message scroll down near the bottom and youll see a manage attachments button, use that and attach that file

Also are you saying when you start the service it connects? Or is it it dosent connect but gives no error in the event log and finally if it dosent connect do you get the 1053 error or the services started then stopped error?

Mogilny
04-23-2009, 04:40 PM
The service seems to start without problems and it's no problem starting it or stopping it. The only time I notice problems with it is when I start HEM and get the error message mentioned in the original post.

I can't attach the file since it is the wrong kind but this is all that it says if I open it in notepad:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

::1 localhost

Edit: However there is another file there, hosts.msn which says this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

morny
04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Follow this FAQ and it should solve the issue

http://holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8182

Mogilny
04-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks morny! You are the Wayne Gretzky of fixing HEM-problems! It works now.