PDA

View Full Version : HEM/HUD bogging down computer and pstars tables freezing

gt30
04-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I've used HEM successfully playing 24 tables w/ no lag on my dell d630 laptop w/ 4gb RAM & 2Ghz processor for 7 months now. My windows is Windows XP prof service pack 3. In the last couple of days about 22 minutes into my session of 20+ tabling while using Table Ninja all of my pokerstars tables will freeze up and start to melt upon one another to the point where i can't see my cards or the action facing me. I can quickly fix it by shutting down the HEM Table Manager window and thus shutting down the HUD which makes me think the problem may be related to that. However even after i've 'fixed' the freezing & melting my CPU usages still stays locked up at 100% and if i turn back on the HUD, the freezing and melting begin again immediately.

Another problem that has just started to arise is that when in the Cash games tab of HEM, It takes forever pull up any of the individual hands that were played in the selected session. It doesn't matter if I select last 100, last 500, or 'all' is selected. It seems that HEM is trying to pull up hands b/c my CPU usage (on performance menu after ctr-alt-del). shoots up and just stays up at > 70% but it doesn't return anything after several minutes. This happens both before and after my computer freezes up in a session. In the previous 7 months pulling up the individual hands used to be something that took just a few seconds.

I went through the FAQ steplist of things to do to reduce lag and did all of those (except not using multiple panels) and then tried another session and everything ran smoothly again until 22 min into the session when the same things described above happened.

In the 'processes' tab of the ctr-alt-del windows task manager i noticed that i had several instances of postgres.exe running. Is that normal or a possible cause?

Anyways, let me know what other info i can provide. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

btw, i just switched to tableninja from AHK scripts about 1 week ago but hadn't encountered any problems in the first 5 days.

also, I stack all my tables in 1 stack but i have hotkeys that move the tables to the four corners of my monitor and then back to the middle stack.

morny
04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Can you try playing without any AHK scripts running and see if the problem persists. Also are you clicking on the last hand history link as this can cause lag issues too so try and avoid this during testing so we can rule that out

gt30
04-22-2009, 06:40 PM
i did play for 7 months using 5 ahk scripts and all was fine but perhaps table ninja is doing something crazy. I'll try to play w/o table ninja or any ahk scripts and see what it does.

I never use the last hand history link (the red circle link)

will it help if i enable logging and recreate the mess and send you a log?

morny
04-23-2009, 04:23 PM
The log is only useful if it crashes

thegreatjohan
06-26-2010, 04:48 PM
this is a problem I have as well, same thing. I've also seen 3-4 other players experience this same issue on their machines. This is a huge issue for a large % of the population that plays 10+ tables. If I close table manager, my problem instantly goes away. Is there any progress on this?

morny
06-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Did you try the steps i mentioned above?

Can you make sure your Opacity slider in Hud options > Player Preferences> Appearance TAB is 100% to the right and also do the same for the mucked cards Opacity

Also keep task manager running and have it sort by CPU in the Processes TAB and see what is using the most CPU when the lagging happens.

Try disabling as many programs as possible such as AHK scripts,Firewall, limewire,Mikogo etc and Antiviruses and if they cant be disabled make sure you add all these programs to the exceptions list such as HMhud.exe,DBcontrol panel.exe and holdemmanager.exe from the Holdem Manager folder aswell as any of the other programs that happen to be running, sometimes for example the antivirus/firewall etc scan every file thats been processed and it can slow things down so running with as few programs as possible.

Also going to control panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer and copy and paste any description if there are any error or information events that coincide with the time of the lagging.

Go to Hud Options > Site Options and disable all the prefetch/track live hands options

Lastly make sure your graphics driver is up to date as this can make a big difference to lagging even with a brand new PC.
FAQ - Hold'em Manager Poker Tracking Software :: How To Update Your Graphics Card Driver (http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/362/How+To+Update+Your+Graphics+Card+DriverOn)

Also try the top 10 performance tips in my sig and see if they help, there is people that experience these issues but in the vast majority of these cases its usually a configuration/pc spec or third party that causes the problem, im not saying that HM doesnt cause this but a high % of the time its something else otherwise we would have tons of threads daily on this if it was something in HM causing this because it would cause it for everyone not just some people

psydoc
07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Any update on this, or fix that worked?

_Loki_
07-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi psydoc

Fix for what ? The OP has got 2 or 3 different things going on including scripts & lag BOTH on the table & in HM when reviewing sessions etc

What is your problem ? What is your set up ? Are you using AHK scripts ? Table Ninja ? As much info is best & probably start a new thread too

uwbabe
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I have been having issues with lag while multi-tabling. Is it normal for there to be multiple "postgreSQL.exe" to be running under the processes tab in the windows task manager? I have 6 of them running.

gt30 listed this in his post too ("In the 'processes' tab of the ctr-alt-del windows task manager i noticed that i had several instances of postgres.exe running. Is that normal or a possible cause? ")

morny
10-18-2010, 11:29 PM
No that is completely normal, try all those steps listed and see if it helps