PDA

View Full Version : big problems after canceled update

MassaTheChamp
07-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Hi!

Today i tried to install the new version 1.12 but because HM said it would take very long, i have a huge database, i task-manager killed the HM.
After that i installed 1.11.06g again (undo all the win7 updates) and started playing, but there was no HUD, so i guess i messed up everything. Then i moved on another PC to play (i wish i would do that in the first place) and installed 1.11.07 with windows update fix on the primary PC.
I had to do that twice because i had no space left on C drive. And after the HM did his work i got the attached messages (another one after i clicked OK). And if i start HM again i get the "large database update" message again.

What do you reccomend that i do? Uninstall everything, make new database and install which version? And then reimport all the hands? Can i install windows updates?
It would be really cool if you helped me out today so i can start playing again tommorow.

Thanx

edit: What do you recommend i do with my database?
I have it on C drive, which is Kingston 128GB SSD, but the databse is 105GB in size. Should i have it on D drive after a reinstall (where i can delete a bunch of stuff and have enough space)? But it won't work as good as on SSD correct? Please advise what would be best to do in my situation.

Patvs
07-15-2011, 02:44 AM
Do you have 1 massive database (10+ million hands?)
Or several smaller databases?

Any chance you can free up 5 more GB of freespace on C:/.
Run crapcleaner, delete restore points, uninstall a game, etc?

So the database update can finish.

---

If you can't, read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/MoveDatabaseToAnotherHardDriveOrPartition

and try to move everything to D..

or

Run pgadminIII: backup a database (that can fit on the 4.5 GB free diskspace).
Move the backup file to D
delete the database in pgadminIII
That should give you enough space to perform the database update on the other database (assuming you have more than 1)

or

Run dbcontrolpanel.exe, create a new database

----

The database update needs a lot of space. (you won't get that space back, it's creating dozens of new tables for the new HUD stats)

You could also consider to stay at 1.11.06g, then purge ALL old hands (<2009) The problem with only 4.5 GB of diskspace is, it's probably not enough to perform a VACUUM in pgadminIII.

MassaTheChamp
07-15-2011, 05:24 AM
I had 2 databases, not sure why/when i made 2. Now i deleted one and i have 15GB of space left. I am currently adding all of my gf's hands to my PC, so now i'll have even more hands, not that much, just for 5 months. Before that i had just under 2 million hands (from 2009-) so not even close to 10 million - should i have more space left? I disabled logging long time ago and don't have any log files.
After it's done should i install the 1.17 version first and then install those windows updates?
Do i purge hands (from 2009) after i update HM to 1.17 or before?
And then do the vacuum? Is 15GB enough space for this?

Does it increase performance if i move HMArchive from D to C (SSD)? This folder is 2.4 GB in size.

Thanx for the help

Patvs
07-15-2011, 05:34 AM
2 million hands should only take up 20 GB of diskspace.
If yours take up 100 GB, you probably have some sort of log files in another folder you can delete.

Check which of these folders on your computer is 60+ GB?
-C:/Users/
-C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL
-C:/Program Files/RVG Software

It doesn't matter if you install the Windows Security Updates or 1.11.07 -http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate.exe - first.

15 GB should be enough for a vacuum is the database is only 20-35 GB.
15 GB should also be enough for the database update to now finish without running out of diskspace.

Moving C:/HMArchive to the SSD will have no effect.... unless you often plan to reimport all your handshistories. If you perform mass imports / batch-imports, it will be faster for the import speeds if the handhistories are also on the SSD. You can move them back to D:/ after they're imported.

MassaTheChamp
07-15-2011, 05:44 AM
-C:/Users/ 21.2GB
-C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL 40.2GB
-C:/Program Files/RVG Software 270MB

But 105GB for PosgreSQL says in the programs and features

edit: my mistake, i have 2 mill. hands just from my nickname - if i go to Tourney - Results - Players Change and enter my nickname, so i probably have alot more hands...

Patvs
07-15-2011, 06:06 AM
C:/Users/ ---> 20 GB is really large.
You must have at least 10 GB of files in there you don't need.
Maybe a lot of files in your downloads or desktop folder, you can move to D:/

If you have 10+ GB in the Users/%username%/AppData/Roaming/Local or
Users/%username%/AppData/Roaming/Local/Temp folder you can also delete all the large files.

MassaTheChamp
07-15-2011, 06:48 AM
I had 6GB of files in the temp folder, other folders were low on size like 300MB. I also had 7GB of camtasia recordings + 4GB of other stuff in the documents folder, which i moved to D.
So now i have 31GB of free space left :)

Do i still need to purge hands (that means that i wouldnt be able to replay or see the hands, but they would be used in stats or is that just deleting of hands?), how much space would be saved approximately if i just purged the hands of 2009? I'll just do the whole optimization for now.

Patvs
07-15-2011, 07:38 AM
No need to purge the hands.
Purging will delete the largest index (containing the handhistories), but there will still be 87 indexes left so it won't influence your performance/save you a lot of diskspace since you already have a SSD>

MassaTheChamp
07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Damn, something went wrong, i got the error when trying to optimize the database. Reason?
I'll try to do it manually.

Patvs
07-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Use pgadminIII instead.

MassaTheChamp
07-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Manually doing the vacuuming worked. I left it overnight. But after i tried to update hm to 1.17a i did get some errors, which i'll attach. So i restarted my PC and try to update again and now there was no errors. I hope the "making of the large database update" will go without problems :)
Will HM update itself even though it's not responding?

Because i got every hand and tournament summary from my gf as well, what would be the easiest way of copying the entire database to my gf's HM? So i wouldn't have to copy the hands in HMArchive manually, which would take a lot of time again.

If i have to do that again, how would i copy my tournament summaries? I tried yesteday to select all the tourneys in data view in order to export tournament summaries, but HM was loading this for such a long time (over half an hour) that i think this way it is not possible without HM freezing, because i have so many tourneys.

MassaTheChamp
07-16-2011, 08:15 AM
oh man, another error :mad: What can i do?
And when i try to launch HM again i get one more error.

Patvs
07-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Run dbcontrolpanel.exe from the HoldemManager folder.
Set your old database as default--> start HoldemManager.

If you get the same error, create a new database in dbcontrolpanel.exe

Ignore the "not responding" errors. And just wait for HoldemManager to unfreeze.

---

To move your database:
-either create a backup of the largest database: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup%26RestoreDatabase
(-->restore the backup on the other computer--> then import the other handhistories by running a import from folder on the archive folder)
-or copy the archive folder from PC1 to PC2 (and vice versa) and run import from folders on them.

Tournaments played on which site?
If played on PokerStars/Full Tilt there should be separate summary files in the archive folder.

Otherwise export them in Tourney--> Results--> Dataview
Try only selecting 500 tournaments at a time. Or just wait until it unfreezes.