PDA

View Full Version : installing posgreSQL NFTS problem

Antny
04-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi,
I would like to install postgre or at least put the database on my external harddrive because I need a lot of space.
So I told postgre to install the datafolder on my external drive.
However further in the process I'm trying to initialize the clusters and get an error message telling me that postgre can only be installed on NTFS volumes which is my small 40 GB partition.
I also read that I could manually install it via initdb.exe (How do I do that?) but then I wouldn't have any "tablespace" whatever this is. Does Holdem Manager require tablespaces?
Is there any way to install postgres on an external drive? I already read FAQ# 154 which says I should simply change the folder for the data... .
Thanks

Antny
04-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Ok, I just read FAQ # 71 which tells me how to convert to NTFS. Somehow I feel as if this won't work with an external harddrive? Which format does it have? Are there only FAT and NTFS? Will it work?
Please help me out so I can start importing :)
Ok, actually u can delete this. With the power of google Im gonna find out how to format my external drive. Just thought I had to go the initdb.exe way????? so thats where would have needed help.