PDA

View Full Version : What should I do to free up disc space?

ffrllc
04-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I play primarily on a laptop and I'm running out of disc spaceas me DB gows. I'm running HM 1.08 beta 24, windows vista, and have a large external hard drive.

My PostgreSQL folder is 52GB and growing. My RVG Software/HM folder is only 2GB.

Can I store this PostgreSQL folder on my exteral hard drive to free up space on my laptop, or would that impact the performance of HM on my system?

Any tips to help free up needed space on my laptop would be appreciated.

Thanks.

morny
04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah you could transfer it to an external database if you like. Just export the hands http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173 and then uninstall PostgreSQL and install it on the hard drive http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=176 then create a new database and reimport the hands there.

Finally when your 100% sure all the hands got there successfully then go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL and delete that folder to reclaim the space (empty your recycle bin too)

ffrllc
04-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I'm actually still debating whether or not I want to store everything needed for my HM's performance on an external drive. I don't play away from home often, but I do on occasion and would need HM to work correctly (without the external drive present).

So, what would you suggest?

1.) Just store some files that take up space, but not really needed for day to day HM performance. This way I can save some disc space on my laptop, but still be able to have a warking HM for the rare occasion I play out of town and away from my external drive.

Or

2.) Could I still store everything needed on the external drive and then quickly import what was needed prior to leaving town?

morny
04-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Not really sure what you can do, once you set it up with PostgreSQL running on the external hard drive then this will be needed to access your database, to run it without the external database youd then need to export all the hands, uninstall postgreSQL and reinstall it on the laptop hard drive and then when you come back youd need to uninstall and reinstall again onto the hard drive, plus the amount of time youd spend importing the hands could be a day or so depending on how big your database is

You can get very compact external hard drives these days if thats an option but i think it would be alot of hassle otherwise