PDA

View Full Version : new installation (how to maximize performance)

effang
04-12-2009, 03:00 AM
looking to upgrade my computer, and thusly reinstallation of everything.

i was wondering about the following...

1. should i be running post gres on the same drive as my OS, a different drive, or the same drive but partitioned.

2. should i be running HM Manager on the same drive as my OS, a different drive, or the same drive but partitioned.

3. finally, if i'm supposed to run any of these pieces on a different drive, how would running it on an external drive affect my performance issues? i think it would be cool to have postgres/HM on an external drive that i could lug around.

Thanks!

morny
04-12-2009, 04:33 PM
1) Any drive will do

2) Again dosent matter

3) The fact that the drive is external shouldnt effect performance but obviously is your external hard drive is a cheap one and the internal one is a fast expensive one then its best to run them on that

effang
04-12-2009, 10:45 PM
interesting...i got quite a different response from 2p2 a few weeks ago. if there is no validity to their claims, then why would they assume as such?

what they say seems to make sense...if you defrag your hard drive often, you'll notice that after every long session, due to postgres etc., that your drives are all fragmented, even if they were clean before your play session.

so their responses seemed more intuitive in the sense that yes, your SQL drive will still be working constantly, but without interference will be running less constantly.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/45/software/new-computer-pstars-hm-postgres-partition-separate-hd-446696/

Thanks!

morny
04-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Ive ran it but from my internal and external drives (similar in spec) and havent noticed any difference but if someone else has noticed a difference it might be worth a try so give it a shot

fozzy and dave's advice though is usually spot btw