PDA

View Full Version : Where is the bottleneck in table scanner?

Hunter
04-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I use table scanner on pokerstars. It works. I've already made about 6 buy-ins I would credit to it.

What I don't understand is why its so slow when scanning? It takes like 6 minutes to scan through the tables. It literally pauses on each table for multiple seconds. I checked process explorer while it was running and all combined, hem, pokerstars, windows media player and few other random things were taking up 5% of my processing power. There was plenty of RAM leftover too.

So where is the bottle neck? What part takes so long? And why can't it be made faster with more processing power?

Mr_Snood
04-11-2009, 04:04 PM
1) It waits at least 1 second for PokerStars to update the playerlist in the lobby = no CPU power used.

2) Your harddrive is most likely not fast enough to deliver the data as fast as the CPU can process them.

3) If you enabled "Save log file to disk" in the "Settings" this will cost a decent amount of speed.

4) We did not focus on speed optimization yet.
Once we clear all bugs and add all options we will focus on speed.

Hunter
04-11-2009, 04:16 PM
appreciate the reply. in regards to

1) I think there were like 30 tables to scan through, so that's 30 seconds, still a lot of time to account for.

2) 7200RPM SATA. You can't be serisouly telling me even someone with an acient ATA 100 would be maxing out their pipes.

3) No save log to disk enabled.

4) looking forward to optimizations.

Followup question:
I guess the thing I can't really grasp is its doing this specific set of instructions that aren't tasking the computer in any tangible way, yet its taking a really long time. It would seem to me, that even if it was wholly innefecient, it should start taxing the system before it slows down. No? Where do you perceive the bottleneck to be?

Hunter
04-12-2009, 10:33 AM
fwiw performance increased noticeably in latest beta 27. thanks