PDA

View Full Version : initializing database takes a long time

sondring
08-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm running postgres 8.2 on a remote server. When I start up HEM the "initializing database" process takes several minutes to complete. I understand that part of this delay is due to the fact the database is remote, but I was wondering if there was anything could be done to speed up this process? Either on my end or on yours.

And just to be clear, the connection is eventually made and once that happens everything works amazingly well, it's just the initializing process that takes a long time.

thanks

ebi
08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Takes seconds for me but I'm running 8.3 (on Debian)

sondring
08-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Are you on the same network when you get the 8 second response?

I'm connecting through a VPN (hamachi) from a different physical location.

Guess I could just sniff the traffic and see exactly what's happening.

ebi
08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm usually connecting trough a ssh tunnel since HM seems to not support SSL connections but also direct connections work perfect. The server is remote at a hosting company.

Rvg72
08-06-2008, 07:47 PM
This is going to be tough to overcome because HM loads every player in memory in order to speed up a bunch of other things like Imports and player selection. So if you have a big DB then that is a lot of data being retrieved over the internet connection or network.

Roy

ebi
08-07-2008, 02:59 AM
Ah, that explains a lot :) My DB isn't so big yet but it has to stay remote because I use two computers (my desktop and my laptop) until I find a nice way to sync two postgres databases on windows... (Any tipps are welcome here :))

myth123
04-05-2010, 09:53 AM
This is going to be tough to overcome because HM loads every player in memory in order to speed up a bunch of other things like Imports and player selection. So if you have a big DB then that is a lot of data being retrieved over the internet connection or network.

Roy

I know this is a really rare issue but is there anyway for HM hold a local disk cache with this information so it doesn't have to take so long for us remote users?

morny
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
You can suggest it here: Suggestions Forums - Holdem Manager Forums (http://forums.holdemmanager.com/suggestions-forums/)