PDA

View Full Version : 4 Bet Range - what is it for?

SamMan
06-24-2011, 06:30 AM
I just don't completely understand the purpose of this stat. I know, the defenition is

Total PFR multiplied by Total 4bet %.
and formula (http://forums.holdemmanager.com/custom-reports/3595-formulas-every-hm-stat-updated-nov-12-2009-a.html) is

Evaluate="(RaiseThreeBet*100.0/FacingThreeBet)*(PFRHands/1.0/TotalPlayableHands)"

But! How all this can help me in playing decisions? What is "normal" and what is "over" 4Bet range? What sense do you put in this stat?

Patvs
06-24-2011, 08:37 PM
There basically are three stats:

"True four bet" (a stat we don't use) = how often does a player 4bet out of all his dealt hands. Lets suppose a player 4bets only AA/AKs/AK/KK ((=2.1%)

Four bet = How often will a player 4bet, when he faces a 3bet.

Four bet range:

Evaluate="(RaiseThreeBet*100.0/FacingThreeBet)*(PFRHands/1.0/TotalPlayableHands)"

Four bet range uses the "when you face a 3bet" combined the PFR stat, resulting in a low number (0-10% on full ring table) which is very similar to the "true 4bet".

If player A only 4bets AA/AKs/AK/KK (=2.1% of all his hands)
and player B only 4bets AA/AKs/AK/KK + QQ (=2.6%)
And player A is a really tight player VPIP/PFR = 8/6
And player B is a really loose player VPIP/PFR = 35/22
Both only 4bet 2.1-2.6% of their total number of hands.

But loose player B will face a 3bet a lot more often than player A. So the Four Bet Range compensates for this by using PFR in the equation.

SamMan
06-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Nice explanation, thanks a lot! But I Have had confused with one moment in your
elucidation:

"True four bet" (a stat we don't use) = how often does a player 4bet out of all his dealt hands. Lets suppose a player 4bets only AA/AKs/AK/KK ((=2.1%)

Four bet = How often will a player 4bet, when he faces a 3bet.

So - you try to say that there are two different situations in poker? And two stats as consequence: "True four bet" and "Normal four bet"? But... how the one can do 4bet when he/she doesn't faces a 3bet as action before him/her? :confused:

Patvs
06-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I mean the Four Bet stat = How often will a player 4bet, when he faces a 3bet.
Which will usually result in a value between 10 and as high as 40%.

Four bet range will be a lot lower (between 1 and 10%)
Similar as if you would look as a number of 4bets / devided by total of number of hands played * 100% would result in such a low value.