PDA

View Full Version : unable to start server logon failure

delfunk
06-24-2011, 05:33 AM
unable to start server due to logon failure, I had to assign a password to the postgre user on my xp system but since then I cannot start the server. I know what my password is, can you please advise which file I need to edit? Or whatever is required to solve this.

Thanks again in advance.

Patvs
06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Start secondary logon: The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

Delete the postgres user: click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

And reinstall PostgreSQL.

delfunk
06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I need to ensure that any user accounts on the system are assigned a password, will user be created with a password if I do this? I use xp by the way, its a company laptop and their regular scan flags me as non compliant unless I log in to windows using postgre - "password i have set" and specify a screensaver timeout less than 30 mins with password protect on resume ticked.

When I disable the user it passes the scan but then fails again next time it runs once I have the account enabled. I love your product and am worried they will make me remove it if I keep being flagged as non compliant for iso9001 or whatever its called :(

Is there not a way I could just edit the script that the server runs at startup to include the password?

Patvs
06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
If you delete the postgres user, then reinstall with the manual installer from PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database (http://www.postgresql.org), you can choose any password you like during the install process.