PDA

View Full Version : Cannot copy Data folder into external HDD

samwY
03-28-2009, 02:37 PM
I trying to have 1 database for both my desktop and laptop.....
I'm on vista 64 bit.

It seems my new external HD is working fine with other files (moved a bunch of 10 gig movie files).

whenever I try to move the Postgres data file (30gigs) into my external hdd, it freezes and crashes. Whenever I stop the transfer the data folder is always exactly 3.2 gigs.

This is the 2nd brand new hdd I bought bc I thought the first one was broken, but it seems to be something with my PostgreSQL/8.3/data folder since it stops at 3.2 gig everytime.

What's going on?
I dont' have any problems with my postgres database in HEM.

JackBileDuct
03-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Not sure what it is but I'd start by making sure the PostGres service is not running when you try to copy. Feels like the service won't allow access to the copy for specific data.

samwY
03-28-2009, 05:18 PM
The postgres service has always been stopped before moving the data.

Anyone know what's wrong?

samwY
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
my postgres folder is on a separate partition than my C: drive, does that have anything to do with it?

samwY
03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
It's crashing at 21gig now.....it never goes all the way. the computer freezes up too.

samwY
03-29-2009, 08:54 AM
HEM Support can someone answer this?

morny
03-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Not sure theres much i can help with as it sounds like an issue with your computer. Maybe try exporting the files instead of copying the postgreSQL folder as the copy and paste method dosent work very often anyway

samwY
03-29-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't have any probs with my computer but I am running 64 bit Vista.

I would like to try exporting the data folder. How do you "export" the data folder ??

if copy and paste doesn't work usually then why is that method stated in the FAQ?

morny
03-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Where in the FAQ is it stated as a method for backing up a database?

Heres how to export http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173

samwY
03-29-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not trying to backup a database. I'm trying to setup 1 database for 2 computers. I am trying to move my DATA folder into my external hdd as stated in this FAQ: http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=154

"Then go to where you have the data folder which will be c:\program files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data by default unless you changed it. Copy all the files in here to the new data folder we just created above on the external hard drive. If this is a big database this may take some time."

It freezes every time and locks up my computer at around 21 gigs when the folder is 30 gigs.

Do you have any advice or solutions?

morny
03-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Ah i missed the fact your trying to setup for sharing a database, this is the last way id recommend for backing up and restoring a database but unfortuntely its the only way that it can be done in this case. Again once you have the PostgreSQL service stopped it should move without crashing, its either an issue with your PC or something wrong with the files your trying to move, in either case im not sure how you can fix it maybe try a PC support forum or postgreSQL support forum. Id also try rebooting if you havent already

You could just create a blank database and export and import the hands, this will obviously take longer than the FAQ method but should work too.

samwY
03-29-2009, 09:29 AM
mourny, I have another question.

If I backed up my database from PC1 and restored it into PC2, can I just use the postgresql data folder from PC2 to put onto my external hdd? Or do I need to use the postgres data folder from PC1?

I ask this because my original database from PC1 is 30 gigs, and on PC2 it is only 18 gigs after I restored it from PC1.

Am I missing 12 gigs of information? or was there an error during the Restore?

Please let me know, I think PC2 with Vista 32 bit will give me no problem moving the data folder.

morny
03-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Either way will work, as youve 2 different databases youll need to import the hands from the other database that you dont copy and paste so all the stats are there.

The reason there is a difference in the size is that if you purged hands then you need to reclaim the space by vacumming, even if you do vacuum then it dosent always reclaim the full space but when you restore it then it will.

However just to be sure never delete your original database until your sure the new one is running without problems and connecting successfully

samwY
03-29-2009, 10:27 AM
mourny, I have successfully copied my postgres data into my external from my PC.

on my laptop, i already have postgres installed with my 30 gig database. So I'm confused whether or not I have to do step C from these directions, http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=154, when I already have my main database in my laptop.

The FAQ says to do Step B and C. My question is....on my laptop (PC#2), why can't I just do the bottom of Step B (renaming regedit to direct the Postgres Data location on my external hdd) as I did for my desktop(PC#1)? Before doing any of this, I had 2 same databases on both PC#1 and PC#2...

morny
03-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Yeah you could do it that way too i suppose but its probably just as easy to do it the way in the FAQ, whatever suits ya