PDA

View Full Version : Purged hands: Vacuum running almost 24 hours

PatInTheHat
03-27-2009, 03:59 PM
I ran a purge which deleted around 4-5 million hands. It took about 8 hours. I then ran a vacuum which has been going for almost 24 hours but still appears to be going. Is this normal? Should I just let it continue to go?

morny
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Id try to let it go as long as possible, its hard to say because i dont know the size of the database but it looks extremely excessive even for a huge database, unfortunately if you force it to stop you run the risk of damaging the database although the risk is small but it looks likely its hung

PatInTheHat
03-27-2009, 05:06 PM
It does appear to be locked up now. It hasn't done anything in the last 30 minutes or so. Do I just close it and try again? What should I do from here?

morny
03-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah id try closing it and rebooting then trying again

PatInTheHat
03-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I am actually moving HM to another computer. I ran the purge just to get a nice clean slate. Is it even worth trying to Vacuum or should I just export the files and import them on the new computer?

Pros/cons vs exporting files or doing a backup/restore ?

morny
03-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Exporting takes longer but is more or less 100% reliable as once you have the hh theyll import into any database

Backup and Restore is faster but its not always reliable especially when restoring to a different version of PostgreSQL

This might be of interest when you do the vacuum http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?p=32648#post32648