PDA

View Full Version : moving DB to CD

mocky
08-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey guys im getting my PC serviced soon and i want to put my DB onto a CD so i dont lose it.
I saw in the FAQ to go pgadmin > maintenance > backup but im unsure of what to do after this.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

fabio
08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
right click your DB in pgAdmin an go to Backup. Choose a path where the backup file should be saved. Burn it on CD/DVD

mocky
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey thanks for the reply, i now have it backed up in a file but im unsure of how to actually get it onto the CD.
I have a CD in the drive but nothing happens.

morny
08-04-2008, 08:04 PM
It all depends on the software your using, you need to follow the instructions from the software manual or contact their customer support.

mocky
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Not really sure about that, if i saved the DB to a rar file and e mailed them to myself, extracted them later and reimported them to HEM that should work yes?

morny
08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes, there should be free software or possibly even built in software for burning your cd, probably would be easier to google it. You might have problems sending the email if your using a free provider depending on the size of the file. Also make sure your email is web based otherwise youll need to backup your emails if you use outlook express or similar